Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Photodiode questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, everyone.

1. Should I think of a photodiode as being like a solar cell, that generates current from light, or should I think of it as a light-sensitive transistor, that conducts current only if a threshold amount of light is falling on it?

2. I have been told that it makes sense to connect a photodiode in reverse bias. Can someone explain what the point of this is? Wouldn't it make sense only to connect a photodiode in forward bias, and to have the rest of the circuit respond to light falling on the photodiode?

Richard

Hi, everyone.

1. Should I think of a photodiode as being like a solar cell, that generates current from light, or should I think of it as a light-sensitive transistor, that conducts current only if a threshold amount of light is falling on it?

2. I have been told that it makes sense to connect a photodiode in reverse bias. Can someone explain what the point of this is? Wouldn't it make sense only to connect a photodiode in forward bias, and to have the rest of the circuit respond to light falling on the photodiode?

Richard

hi,
When a photodiode is used in a reversed bias mode, the reverse leakage current increases with light intensity, a resistor connected in series with opto is used to develop a voltage across it due to the change in leakage.

In forward mode a voltage developed across the opto is proportional to light intensity.

Reverse mode operation is faster, fast switching.
Forward mode is has usually a more linear response, light meters etc.

There are photo detector diodes and photo detector transistors, diodes are faster, transistors more sensitive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back