Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Photocell help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

567k5

Okay guys, I am totally ignorant when it comes to circuits, but I have a competition coming up and I need this to work. I need for a photocell to be covered and for a motor to start going. I have the following supplies:
Jumper wire
Breadboard
Photocell
Zener diode
Npn transistor
Potentiometer( resistor control)
Battery pack
Motor
I need someone to tell me how to wire it all together so the motor will run when the photocell is covered. If some amazing person out there can, I will be so very thankful.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 162
**broken link removed**. Scroll down the page till you see the Photo Cell Circuits. The simple way to do it would be using a comparator like the LM311 but I believe Radio Shack sells the LM339 which is just 4 comparators on a single chip. The output of the comparator can drive a relay using a transistor also shown in the link. The relay in turn will run your motor. Your pot (you don't mention the value?) would be used to set the sensitivity of the circuit (when the relay turns the motor on / off). Relatively simple circuit.

There is a number of ways to go about this. What is the power source (voltage & current). What is the motor power (voltage and current). Do you have a photo cell yet and what is the resistance (light & dark).

Ron

Last edited:
Posting or linking to the design you have would help. I saw the pile of parts and breadboard. For example you need to know the pinout of the PNP transistor you have, EBC (Emitter Base Collector) doesn't mean much unless you know which is which pin.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back