Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Photo sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

k7elp60

I'm working on a project to turn some night lights on when it gets near dark outside. The electronics to turn on and time the lights is not a problem. I am having trouble finding a photo sensor that is weather proof that I can mount on a weather proof box. Since the the lights are 12V the voltage is 12VDC. I am looking for either a photo cell or a sensor that is has some form of weather proof encloser.
Ned

They sell them at Lowes, and probably HD. Outdoor night lights have such sensors on top and they are a replaceable part. Don't recall the exact price..

John

Would something like this not be suitable? It's resin coated so fairly weatherproof I'd of thought.
I think you are right....lookes like a good idea, thanks

They sell them at Lowes, and probably HD. Outdoor night lights have such sensors on top and they are a replaceable part. Don't recall the exact price..

John
I have seen them but I was under the impression that the sensors are wired to work on line voltage. I'll check into it, thanks for the information.
Ned

I have seen them but I was under the impression that the sensors are wired to work on line voltage. I'll check into it, thanks for the information.
Ned
No they are low voltage devices used to trigger a high voltage switch like a triac.
But you can use a MOSFET for 12 volts DC.

The things they sell at HD or Lowes are complete 120V powered controllers; not just the bare sensor.

The things they sell at HD or Lowes are complete 120V powered controllers; not just the bare sensor.

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2012/11/PMCcatalogue09.pdf

I am a couple of hours' drive and a 24ft ladder away from checking on the exact item number and brand of what I installed a couple of years ago at the "farm." The one I installed looked like the type that just installs in an emt-type of knockout ("swivel type") as shown in that link. Scan down a couple of pages for the DC units. Maybe Lowes no longer sells such replacement parts.

Mine was an AC unit, but since the OP was just asking for a sensor in a weatherproof enclosure, " I am having trouble finding a photo sensor that is weather proof," I figured he could either hack the AC unit (are we sure it won't work on DC?) or get the DC version.

John

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back