Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Photo paper

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachtheterrible

hi everyone.

ive got a question about which kind of photo paper i should use for making my PCB. Is there anything that i should especially be looking for in the paper? i looked @ some on the net, and i saw inkjet photopaper, laser photopaper, etc. wuts my best bet??

thank you :D

Hello!

I use my deskjet printer to make PCB... You just need some special transparency film. Personnaly, I use HP Premium inkjet transparacy film and it work well.

thanx everyone. JFDuval, you use ur deskjet?? im very interested in this :lol: . what kind do you use? i went to officedepot.com and saw laser transparency, write on transparency, inkjet transparency, etc.

Thanx evandude. unfortunately, i don't own, or know anyone who owns a laser printer. I was planning on printing it out on regular paper, then taking it to a copy shop and copy it onto a piece of photo paper that i would provide them to put into their copier.

Well, i guess that it just comes down to what type of transparency film i need, and therefore how much it will cost.

really JFDuval??? can you use your inkjet printer for making PCBs.

i read a few articles about making PCBs on the internet and the only thing that kept me away from making my own PCBs at home was that a Laserjet printer is usually required.

could you explain your method a little bit?

D'OH!! i just realized that u say that you use inkjet transparency jfduval!! skiped that part :oops:

would write on transparency work? its quite a bit less expensive

if it has to be inkjet transparency, then i think that i might stick with photo paper because inkjet transparency is $20 for 20 pieces. premium laser photo paper is $20 for 50.

btw, laser photo paper would work in a kinkos B&W copier right?

ahha! i remember i developed a method requiring only water, clay, overhead transparency and patience. And yes of course a laser printer.

the clay was mixed with water in to a very very weak solution, like 95 percent water and then sprayed over othe transparency, then dry it out. The clay simply acted as a release agent. from there it is print, iron, peel and etch...simple

you could try just normal paper but i cant remeber the method.

p.s: oh yeh use soapy warm water when peeling it off. I swear using straight cold water is a b***h to get it working. :evil:

zachtheterrible said:
Thanx evandude. unfortunately, i don't own, or know anyone who owns a laser printer. I was planning on printing it out on regular paper, then taking it to a copy shop and copy it onto a piece of photo paper that i would provide them to put into their copier.

Better make sure it is a high quality copier, I havent used a copier in awhile but I know that they tend to blur or mess up sometimes. Since you are dealing with very fine lines and stuff, a tiny misprint could mess it up.

Hello!

Yes, it's true. The fact that inkjet transparency cost high is bad but it's cheaper than changing my printer. The printer I use to make PCBs is an old HP Desket 400 (more than ten years old...) and it work perfect. See this picture, it's my lasts board etched: **broken link removed**.

Good luck,

JFDuval said:
Yes, it's true. The fact that inkjet transparency cost high is bad but it's cheaper than changing my printer. The printer I use to make PCBs is an old HP Desket 400 (more than ten years old...) and it work perfect. See this picture, it's my lasts board etched: **broken link removed**.

Impressive board :!:

WOW jfduval, thats reeealy nice!! if only it wasnt so expensive :( . thanx everyone for the help, im gonna go ahead and get some photo paper.

Hello!

Thanks for the felicitations :oops: . The process is simple:

1- I use Eagle to make my board on the computer
2- I print twice on transparency to have perfect opacity
3- I insolate my presensitized board with a cheap MG Insulator
4- I reveal with revealator
4- I put the board in my homemade etch tank (not sure if it's the name in english, in french it's a graveuse.)
5- I clean and use!

To see picture of my etching equipement, go to www.machivi.ma.cx. I have complete explainations there.

Say, zachtheterrible. If the cost of the transparency sheets is a big concern, you can go into an Office Max or Office Depot and get them to print out the pattern for well under a dollar. Just walk in with your PCB pattern on regular paper and they can photocopy it to a laser transparency (ask for the maximum contrast). Plus, you don't have to wait for the sheet to dry. I tried this with my first PCB pattern; basically used the steps JFDuval described, and that was that!

thats a good idea digitan, but the only reason i was interested in transparency was cuz then i could print it out on my printer @ home, not have to go somewhere. so i might as well just buy the picture paper (which i did), speaking of that:

I JUST DID MY FIRST PCB!!!! so cool!!! :lol: . i got the staples picture paper u recommended evandude and it worked very well (and it was only $6.94 :lol: ). it turned out pretty well, the only thing that i did not like was that some of the lines weren't exactly straight, they were a bit jagged, but hey, it was my first PCB ever :lol:

I had to have my mom's iron on the highest degree possible for 6 minutes for it to transfer. I think next time i might even go 7 minutes cuz there were little bits of ink stil stuk 2 the photopaper.

thanx 4 the help every1, couldnt've done it without ya :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back