Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Photo interruptor pinout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faradave

Okay, can you guys help me figure out which one is the IR transmitter and which one is the IR transistor and then which pin is which? It came out of an HP printer but I can't find a part number on it. One side of it says

V
But I tried Googling these and I could not find a datasheet. The wider of the two devices that make up the interrupter has four pins, the other one has two pins. I would just plug it up and try but I'd like to have at least an idea which is which so I don't go hog-wild and burn the thing up. Thanks again!
20200103_111942.jpg
20200103_112105.jpg

That bottom left of the four pins seems to have some sort of white substance around it. There is a pin there, trust me

Last edited:
Oh and here are which pins connect to which.
20200103_113643.jpg

Pins 2 and 5 almost seem to be connected. I get half a second of a resistance reading whenever I'm doing a continuity check using the resistance setting on my dual meter. I don't know I kind of feel like that's on accident

I think this is a two channel device for generating quadrature signals from an optical grating It was probably mounted on the print head with the optical grating the full width of the printer. The two pin side will be the IR emitter (Or possibly 2 IR emitters connected in series or parallel. ) You may be work out the polarity by tracing the path of one side back to the pins on the large electrolytic capacitor. Your pins 3 & 4 will be one photodetector and 4 & 5 the other one. Again you may be able to work out the polarity by tracing tracks.

Les.

Yea I think it was mounted on a cervo if my memory serves.
Ok so when the leads connect to the cap... the positive leads on the IR emitter and the photodetector will go to the positive leads on the cap?

I can't see the IR emitter, would it be about the same voltage as a regular LED, 1 to 2 volts?

You know it's funny, I have IR emitters and I have photo detectors. Boring. But these things are really neat!

It will not be fed directly from the capacitor but there is a good chance that one side will be connected to one side of the capacitor either directly or via a resistor. This will probably be the negative side. This may not be the case but is the only direction I can see to go as the capacitor is probably across the supply to the board. There may be other clues like markings on connectors. You just have to use what information you can gather from the circuit around the device..

Les.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back