Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Photo Diode

Status
Not open for further replies.

neptune

Are there any photo diode in market that is able to detect only a specific intensity of light, of specific frequency range.
for ex- in the range of 2-3 LUX beyond and above which they just cut off.

I'm not aware of a single device solution. Your very low LUX response requirement is also problematic.

This device (https://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/MAX44007.pdf), however, does have sensitivity in your range but would require an I2C capable device to make use of the its output.

If you have a frequency sensitivity requirement as well, that might be accomplished by color filtering. That would, however, affect the response of the device (possibly ameliorated by digital processing).

I should add that I have no experience with the device.

<EDIT> Just saw this device (https://www.vishay.com/docs/81519/bpw21r.pdf). indicates low LUX sensitivity but would also require additional circuitry for a response to the LUX level(s) detected.

Last edited:
When you mention "specific frequency range" I assume that you are talking about a specific color range.
What exactly is that color range?

well i wanted a single photo diode.
the frequency requirement is also not rigid, but it needs to be mono chromatic like laser.
the luminance requirement is not rigid, basically i need to know that, do photo diode have cut off level for luminance just like it has for frequency. meaning it will cut off if light is too bright or too low, without using the supporting circuitry or electronics.

A typical photodiode detects a broad range of frequencies. What you "want" won't change that. However, it is well know that led's can also be used as light detectors. They have a narrower reception band. Check out Figure A here: https://makezine.com/projects/make-36-boards/how-to-use-leds-to-detect-light/

You will find no single component on the commercial market with a reception band as narrow as a laser's emission. You might approach that degree of selectivity with filters, but such filters will reduce your sensitivity.

As for threshold, I suggest you do that electronically based on the output of whatever device you use.

John

well i had to discriminate between the input lights based on their intensity, turns out i would be using many detectors, and if each of those require electronic circuitry then it would get bulky.

Can't you use a single detector and measure its output to distinguish between the lights?

Can't you use a single detector and measure its output to distinguish between the lights?
well there would be many output each with its own high and low intensity, therefore to I need detector that could in itself turn on only specific intensity.

I need intensity detectors without electronic circuitry
It is hard to envision a photodiode-based intensity detector that works completely without electronic circuitry. The mere fact it is a photodiode implies some electronics.

Chemical actinometry (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actinometer) can be used to give a color change proportional to the light intensity. Is That what you are looking for?

John

Good hunting; but I doubt you'll be lucky :(.

You can't get there from here without electronics on each detector.
But if you explain exactly what the purpose of this is and what you are trying to achieve, then we likely can offer better solutions.

so this kind of thing doesn't exist, alright thanks for the help.

Are there any photo diode in market that is able to detect only a specific intensity of light, of specific frequency range.
for ex- in the range of 2-3 LUX beyond and above which they just cut off.

In short NO.

But one can design this with many components and a clear spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back