Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Phono jack - which is left and right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if the center/tip of a audio phono jack aka 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 is right or left. Is there a given rule? Which is which?

just plug it into a speaker and then touch each part of it. whichever speaker hums, thats the left right, and when it doesnt hum, thats ground

What I mean is, is the tip of the plug left or right? I know where the ground is. There is a tip and a band above the tip for left and right, I don't know which is which. I assume the tip is the right channel, but I don't know for certain. Iv'e looked through my books buts there is no mention of it. I have two CD players and the channels are reversed! I guess this is an arcane piece of knowledge?!?!

You have your CD in upside down, you just have to flip it over.

:lol: Behold the power of the internet (books are out-dated) **broken link removed**

jrz126 - Now, why didn't I think of that? :), but really. does anyone know? I know it's a stupid question, but I'm stuck here.

did you check my link?
the tip is for the left channel and the ring in the center is for the left

jrz126 - I just looked at your link, and thanks for your reply, It seems that my Sony CD player is backwards, if they can screw it up it's a good thing that I asked, thanks!

pandaemonium said:
jrz126 - I just looked at your link, and thanks for your reply, It seems that my Sony CD player is backwards, if they can screw it up it's a good thing that I asked, thanks!

Working in the tv hifi trade that sounds typical Sony,probably done to make you buy sony headphones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back