Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

phone jack reading 0VDC between ring and tip

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckt-boarder

I was recently replacing a phone jack in my living room, but when I plugged in the phone there was no dial tone. It's my understanding that the "on hook" voltage is about -40VDC between tip and ring, but when I measured the pins with my multimeter it read 0VDC. To rule out a faulty multimeter, I then tested a jack which I know works, but again I read 0V. I then found the wiring block in my basement and measured between the tip and ring and this time read -46VDC. I suspect the jack I wanted to replace is probably disconnected somewhere inside the wall, but my question is, what about the jack that I know works? Why would it read 0V and not -40V? Does this have something to do with the impedance of the wires or something else?

A phoneline is around 40 to 50 Volts DC at rest.

When the line is engaged it drops down to a couple of volts.

When a ring signal is present about 80 to 100 Volts AC signal is superimposed on the DC Voltage.

Check for loose connections or broken wires.

A good start is to begin from a working socket and then check for faulty wiring.

Thanks for the info, I found a loose connection in the ceiling in my basement, after repairing this I now have a dial tone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back