Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Phone Disconnecter

Status
Not open for further replies.

w33d3d

I am looking for something I can build or buy. I have soldering experience with electronics and thats about it. Heres the project: I am looking for something to pick up my phone and disconnect it on the first ring. Here is how its gonna go I have telemarketers and other unwanted people calling my house. I am gonna buy this caller id device called caller id manager and it also has an addon that will attach to a phone line and any call that comes through thats not on my allowed calls list will get sent to this line. So the device that I am wanting will be on that line and any call that comes through will just automatically pick up the line and disconnect it. It seems simple enough but i don't know where to begin. I know certain answering machines will play an announcement and then disconnect but I can't find one that has this option. Any help is greatly appreciated thanks

Since you are directing unwanted calls, perhaps any old answering machine could be attached. You could include no greeting or one that says something like "your message will be ignored", let them record a message of limited length and never empty the messages from the machine. After the memory of the unit is full of whatever, the machine might simply report "message space is full" or not allow any more or whatever. But in any case, do you really care how long it takes between pick-up and hang-up of these unwanted messages? If not, then any old answering machine should work.

Much better would be to have the message ask the telemarketer to hold on for a minute... Leave them on the line for long periods, and they'll avoid calling in the future. Not a very productive employee, if they only make one or two calls an hour...

Another approach would be to playback the handshaking tones from a fax machine as the outgoing message ... :D
Jeff

No! Don't hang up on first ring. Have it first make the telemarketers first pick up the phone so that they will have to pay for the call! The fax sounds seems like a cool idea!

But be careful, I know I get a lot of calls from prople like doctors whose caller ID is shown as private caller, wouldn't want to fax them out, nor would you want to block the police station, fire deppartment, local hospitals... you could miss an important call if you failed to put them in your allowed caller list.

Redirect the call to a non existing number. In Portugal the automated response is: "The number you dialled does not exist". They will try again then they will quit "hopefully":D :D

No need to redirect , if the line to be rediercted to- doesn't exist then the phone will just keep ringing and they will hangup. You could also simply place a short circuit on the out put and this will answer the call, the cost to the telemarketers is small as they use VOIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back