Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PHm9835 MOSFET???

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarveyH42

Banned
Was sort through some parts, still waiting on my last Futurlec order (almost 2 months now...). Figured I get some stuff put away, rather then start on another project. Ran across 11 of these, and couldn't find a data sheet on the web. Philippines usually means house numbered, and dump them in a box with other useless numbered parts. But the have 2 leads marked with a G and an S, so figured MOSFET, which I could use some logic level types so badly with the AVRs.

Only just getting started learning about them, so a data sheet would be useful. I haven't seen anyway to test these things to even determine if its N or P channel. A multimeter can tell you enough about a BJT to maybe use it. I've avoided FETs since school, teacher kept stressing how easy it was to destroy them, just by handling them. Guessing they were kind of expensive 28 years ago...

Attachments

• fet.jpg
    fet.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 324
Distinguishing between p-channel and n-channel is easy. There's a diode connected between the drain and the source. On an n-channel device the anode is connected to the source and on a p-channel the anode is connected to the drain. A simple diode tester fuction can test this.

Deturmining the threashold voltage and whether it's logic level or not is a bit more tricky. The best way is to just connect your load, apply the gate voltage and see if enough current flows. The problem is that there can be a huge variance between MOSFETs of the same part number so I wouldn't recommend this techniqure for mass production - you're better off just getting a MOSFET that you can find the datasheet of.

Nice diode tip, have to give it a try in a few minutes. Least I'll know a little more about what I can hook it up to. I don't do much over 12 volts, or very high current either, so those specs shouldn't be a concern. Although, all those ignition coil threads last week or two, have been kind of giving me an itch...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back