Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Phillips PM3256 Oscilliscope - How to make Lissajous figures ? - help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

teutonic

Hi

I could use a little help. I love my ebay sourced scope ( Phillips PM3256 ) but the trigger control switches are baffling me when I try to create lissajous figures.

Can any gurus guide me. ? The scope does'nt have a XY button, it has a XDEFL button which I think does a similar thing but I'm getting bogged down with all the button choices. Heres a pic of the buttons. Can anyone tell me what to choose for Lissajous figures generating ?

And I just put 'sinewave a' in ch1 and 'sinewave b' in ch2 I think. ? Should I be using the 'hold off' or an external trigger when I try this ? Also is a 'huntron' any good to me ? I made one but not sure why lol :)

Thanks for any help with the buttons I'm grappling with.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
There is no trgiggering as there's no timebase for doing lissajous figures, I would imagine you probably press the button 'xdefl' to make CH2 the X input?.

There is no trgiggering as there's no timebase for doing lissajous figures, I would imagine you probably press the button 'xdefl' to make CH2 the X input?.

I agree with Nigel as I don't see an XY or an external Horiz (X) input?

I also suggest you give this a read and start getting an understanding of what the pattern is all about other than an interesting image on a scope. Start working with your scope and getting a handle on oscilloscope basics.

<EDIT>Ah wait a moment, I see it. You use the Exrternal Trigger input. You hit X DEFL and run your X axis into the external trigger BNC. Where it says Trig or X Defl. </EDIT>

Ron

Last edited:

Thanks <blush> yes I realised it'd be a V/V graph ( not V/t ) so. All those triggering switches bottom right of pic. Shall I leave the whole lot 'out' or off ?
I'll fire it all up in a bit see how I get on

I agree with Nigel as I don't see an XY or an external Horiz (X) input?

I also suggest you give this a read and start getting an understanding of what the pattern is all about other than an interesting image on a scope. Start working with your scope and getting a handle on oscilloscope basics.

Ron

I've got the basics down to a fine art lol. Its the tricky stuff I need a bit of help with :) Cheers for the link though - i've scoured google - cant even find a phillips scope manual to buy, never mind download lol

checked the link. nice math, nothin practical there. even the bottom links are for java pretties n' stuff. I need the real thing >:)

Last edited:
If you see my edit you will see how to set it up. Your Y axis will be a vertical channel and your X axis will be fed into the external trigger BNC. Use the X DEFL button. Rhat should get you going.

Ron

checked the link. nice math, nothin practical there. even the bottom links are for java pretties n' stuff. I need the real thing >:)

hi,
Just dug out my old scope Phillips PM3256 and sig gen.

Look at the image.:)

1229-5e48c24652d17&#10.jpg

thats fantastic thanks fellas. I played for ages, switched it all off, checked here, theres the info !

I shall endeavour to apply this info tomorrow evening after work, its a little late here now. Thanks again

As an aside the best 'general' info I could find for understanding lissajous figures after scouring google many times was this fine guide:
Lissajous Figures
regards

Could'nt wait til tonite - I have an hour before work so ...Well thanks to your help I managed to get my lissajous trace - this is a 1khz and 2khz ( approx ) sine waves input.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bYAzZATVpY

Next query. I cannot get the trace to 'stay still'. Is there anyway I can do that ? Or is it always going to drift about, nice eye candy but unable to study the waveform ?

Last edited:
I think the two signals have to be in phase to get a stable non moving waveform.

Last edited:
Could'nt wait til tonite - I have an hour before work so ...Well thanks to your help I managed to get my lissajous trace - this is a 1khz and 2khz ( approx ) sine waves input.

YouTube - VID 00006-20100416-0730.3GP

Next query. I cannot get the trace to 'stay still'. Is there anyway I can do that ? Or is it always going to drift about, nice eye candy but unable to study the waveform ?

hi.
Look at this pdf, make up the 'shifter circuits.

Attachments

• Exp-9..pdf
    215.3 KB · Views: 3,293
Thanks again Eric ! I was googling around for phase shift circuits last night without much success but this looks great - and easy ! I shall fire up the soldering iron tonight !

hi,
Give me a few minutes and will post a handy little phase shifter circuit.

EDIT:
Look at these images.

φ= 2 * tan^-1* [R3/Xc1]

Where Xc1= 1/[2Π f C1]

The image showing the circuit is with R3=10k and the smaller image with R3=2K
R3_10K..gifR3_2K..gif

Last edited:
If you can lock the two signal sources to a common reference this would put the phase in line. ie. two sig gens with same external ref.

thanks so much again. I have my 'homework' for the weekend now :D
By the way 54 yr old tech level service engineer here. Great with DC, got me 224's, licenced ham since '87 ( g0ier ) but not so hot with phase shift and AC theory - but enjoying these insights :D

I need a wee drinky first now we've reached the weekend but I will be back !

If you can lock the two signal sources to a common reference this would put the phase in line. ie. two sig gens with same external ref.

Ahh. now your tantalising me as a scope newby ! Yes I was using the 1000 Hz ( fixed ) output from my lovely old Heathkit RF Oscillator ( Model IG 5280 ) as sinewave A and a 2 khz sinewave from my shiny new Pintek FG30 sweep gen as Sinewave B.

I just about barely grasp its the initial trigger or measure point that needs 'locking' . I have no idea how to do such a thing. Glad I posted though - learning a heap :)

hi.
Look at this pdf, make up the 'shifter circuits.

hi again :) Up with the larks, I whipped together the passive RC Phase shift network in the link.

I 'matched' the resistors and caps for closest accuracy. The resistors came in about 994 ohms and the C at 112 nF

This was the result:
**broken link removed**

A nice stable 1:1 lissajous. ( as expected ) My only dissapointment is it is an oval shape rather than full circle. Adjusting the signal amplitude and juggling the volts/div ch1 will not create a perfect circle.

I am clear on what I want to do next thanks to these experiments ( thanks for the assists ). I want to make a sinewave generator with 'multi' frequency outputs.

My first idea was a frequency divider circuit, where I can 'tap' into the frequency divisons. So I might have a 10 MHz oscillator with a frequency divider network giving outputs at 9/8/7 MHz and so on, right down to say 1 MHz.

Is such a circuit feasible ?

oh and ...
hi,
Give me a few minutes and will post a handy little phase shifter circuit.

EDIT:
Look at these images.

φ= 2 * tan^-1* [R3/Xc1]

Where Xc1= 1/[2Π f C1]

The image showing the circuit is with R3=10k and the smaller image with R3=2K
View attachment 41688View attachment 41689
**broken link removed**
This is a really nice easy looking phase shifter circuit thanks eric

regards all

Last edited:
hi again :) Up with the larks, I whipped together the passive RC Phase shift network in the link.

I 'matched' the resistors and caps for closest accuracy. The resistors came in about 994 ohms and the C at 112 nF

This was the result:

A nice stable 1:1 lissajous. ( as expected ) My only dissapointment is it is an oval shape rather than full circle. Adjusting the signal amplitude and juggling the volts/div ch1 will not create a perfect circle.

I am clear on what I want to do next thanks to these experiments ( thanks for the assists ). I want to make a sinewave generator with 'multi' frequency outputs.

My first idea was a frequency divider circuit, where I can 'tap' into the frequency divisons. So I might have a 10 MHz oscillator with a frequency divider network giving outputs at 9/8/7 MHz and so on, right down to say 1 MHz.

Is such a circuit feasible ?

oh and ...

This is a really nice easy looking phase shifter circuit thanks eric
regards all

hi,
You are becoming a techno nerd...:)

The problem with the freq divider is that it will be a square wave output.!!

Look up Wien oscillators. , also there are IC's which make good Function generators.

Ref the waveforms,,, turn the Y amp switch CW , so that the trace is oval, with its major axis vertical and then adjust the 'blue' CAL knob on the Y amp until you get a round waveform.

Lets know how it goes...

BTW: always set the CAL knob to CAL when you do any serious measurements.

Use the 1.2V sig cal pin as a quick Y amp check.

Last edited:
hi,
You are becoming a techno nerd...:)
Thanks ! I was praying I would'nt be the only one Eric, when I sought a forum, joined and posted my puzzlement ! Looks like you're the answers to my prayers haha!
The problem with the freq divider is that it will be a square wave output.!!

Look up Wien oscillators. , also there are IC's which make good Function generators.

Interesting. Very interesting. In fact I've been image googling 'frequency dividers' and see there is a dearth of square/pulse wave dividers out there. Dividing sine wave frequencies is another matter entirely by the look of it. But I came across this most interesting sine wave divider circuitry :
**broken link removed**. My initial thought was cobble summat up with mpf102's or 2n2819's and some ceramic resonators I have. But it propbably would'nt work.

Ref the waveforms,,, turn the Y amp switch CW , so that the trace is oval, with its major axis vertical and then adjust the 'blue' CAL knob on the Y amp until you get a round waveform.

Lets know how it goes...

BTW: always set the CAL knob to CAL when you do any serious measurements.

Use the 1.2V sig cal pin as a quick Y amp check.
The scope's resting at the mo but as soon as I get my next techno-urge I will pay some attention to your CAL button advice, thanks.

Oh Eric - my PM3256 'cal' signal output appears to be 2.33 kHz graticule calculated and 2.35 kHz measured on a Phillips PM6667 freq counter. I sort of expected a 1kHz cal signal. Could you confirm to me the manual quoted value ? ( I reckon it'll be 2.4 kHz )
regards

Last edited:
hi,
This is a early version of the function generator IC, I understand they are still around also I believe there is a 'newer' version.

EDIT:

I have/had a manual somewhere!
I will look, but dont hold your breath.

EDIT2:
Unable to find the manual at this time, look at this link, scroll down linked page for a manual

**broken link removed**

Attachments

• XR2206v103.pdf
    197.7 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back