Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

philips red driver problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

aranger

I have a Philips model # 30pw8869/17 HDTV that has a red tint and retrace lines. When the channel is changed or it is powered on it goes completely red for a moment. I plan on changing all the bad electrolytic Caps and trying to narrow down the red driver circuit. Does anyone happen to have the schematics for this model or has run into this problem before. I am no expert with TV repair so any help and information would be greatly appreciated.

Yes it is a CRT, Is there an easy way to tell if it is or isn’t the CRT? When the picture is bright as in the show being played, the picture looks good its only when it is a dark program or the channel is changed that the red shows up.

Swap the red and one of the other colours over, actually on the pins on the CRT - there's usually a series resistor feeding directly to the pins, remove one end of the red resistor, and one end of one of the others, and cross connect them.

If the fault is still on the red, then it's the CRT at fault - but Philips have had MASSIVE CRT failure problems, it's really been a complete disaster over the last few years of CRT's.

Ok I swapped the green resistor with red there is a slight green tint now. When I change the channel or first turn it on it still does the red for a moment thing. Is this a bad CRT?

Thanks for your help at least now I know I’m assuming the CRT will be way too expensive to replace.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help at least now I know I’m assuming the CRT will be way too expensive to replace.

Assuming you could even source one (they were rare because they mostly all failed), it would probably cost more than a new set.

Far cheaper to buy another CRT set, as they are pretty well worthless these days - we give away or throw away loads of good working 28 and 32 inch CRT's.

Wish you were located in AZ so I could pick up one of those thro ways, but thanks guess I’ll have to live with it until I can afford another set. I thought it was in the board so thanks again you saved me a lot of time and money I would have spent trying to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back