Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Phase shift Oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.

yasir_ali

I want detailed ontes on Phase shift Oscillator using OpAmp. Any link will also be appriciatable. I want to study it completely from all its views.
Thanks

Last edited:
hey! i've completed my oscillator with three opamp but the output is not going beyond 8v. if i'm decreasing the gain, the sine wave is coming fine (without clipping) but i want that if i'm applying 12Vdc I should have 12vAc.i'm not understanding why this is happening.?
without thes non-inverting amplifiers the Rf is 19k and the sine wave is coming fine.but as i'm increasing the non-inverting amplifiers the sine wave is getting clipped but the output voltage is not going ahead 8v.
an OpAmp is able to give move than 8v. am i right.?
any guass? help me Thanks
here is the circuit

Attachments

• Phase shift Oscillator.JPG
    Phase shift Oscillator.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 228
Looking at your oscilloscope trace, you're outputting abou 11V peak, which is about right for the 741. You won't get the full 12 swing, as this op-amp is not a rail to rail device.

I think the meter in the sim program reads RMS not peak.
The output is shown as 23V peak-to-peak which is about 8.2V RMS.

Actually a 741 opamp has a max output of only 21V p-p or less, not 23V p-p when it has a positive and negative 12V supply.

Hey Audiogure! i forgot to tell you that even on 6v Supply, it is giving me 4vAc. which is 66% of input . and when i'm applying 12Vdc again it is not giving me more than 66% of input. i mean to say that it is not giving me More then 66% of input.Why? am i missing any thing.? how to improve it? and how to have Maximum output.?
and if it Can't go beyond 21vp-p then which OpAmp should i use instead of this 741 to have Maximum output for 12vdc input.?

Last edited:
Do you want 12V RMS which is measured by the meter in your sim program? Then it will be 34V peak-to-peak. A lousy old 741 opamp will produce it if its load is a high resistance and its power supply is plus and minus 18V.

i think you did not read my last post, i edited.
my circuit is giving me 66% of input What ever i'm applying at input voltage. i want that if i'm 12Vdc. then i could have 11vac or arround 10. is it possible?

The max output high of a 741 opamp is the positive supply voltage minus about 1V.
The max output low of a 741 opamp is the negative supply voltage minus about 1V.
Then if the supplies are 12V each the peak voltage is about 11V.
Your sim's meter reads RMS, not peak. RMS is 0.707 times the peak. So the output is 11V x 0.707= 7.8V RMS.
7.8V RMS is about 65% of the 12V supplies.

Since you want 10V RMS or 11V RMS then it is a peak of 14.14V or 15.5V. The output of a 741 opamp needs 1V more so your supply must be plus and minus 15.14V or 16.5V.

i think you did not read my last post, i edited.
my circuit is giving me 66% of input What ever i'm applying at input voltage. i want that if i'm 12Vdc. then i could have 11vac or arround 10. is it possible?
The op amp will not put out more voltage than it is given.

How much do you expect? Please specify your expected voltage in RMS, Vp or Vp-p

Last edited:
You use a higher supply voltage to get more output volts. Beware of the max allowed supply voltage for the opamp tou are using.

as i told you that my oscillator is giving 66% of any voltage i'm applying.
i want that my Oscillator become able to give me about 80% or around 80% of input at the output. is it possible to do this.?

No, we've just told you it's not possible,

The maximum theoretical RMS output voltage for a sinewave is 70.7% of the input voltage, with most real op-amps the output voltage will be much lower.

ok. i accept it.
Can any One tell me that is there any other Oscillator or any other trick or way to have voltage more than this 66%. ??????
Thanks

Hey! Thanks every one I've got it That i was talking the RMS as Peak. Now every thing is clear.

ok. now with this I've Completed my Phase shift Oscillator. which is for low Freqencies (i think from 1Hz to 200KHz).
Thanks FOr every One thanks a lot.

Yes, you've got it, the RMS voltage is 1/√2 of the peak so of course you can't get more than that which is 70.7%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back