Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Phase degrees in series with a Time based delay

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do use them but i don't understand about the math formulas

and these questions

so u can't have a seperate trim for the shift? and the frequency?
or can u and how can u seperate the shift from the frequency trims?

How can i have a seperate trim for the Shift and frequency?

They seem like the shift and frequency are "tied" or ganged together

The LFO shifts the phase shift degree and frequency at the same time its ganged or tied together so how can i seperate the shift and frequency trims?

a phase shift circuit, each frequency has a different phase shift"

how can i seperate the "shift" trim from the frequency trim?

Because each frequency has a different phase shift is there a way to seperate the "shift" from the frequency?

The variable resistor(which is a FET or LDR) in the phase filter network changes the "shift" but also changes the frequency
at the same time. The fixed capacitor if made variable also would change the "shift" and also change the frequency.

Whats the difference of the "variable resistor" VS a "variable capacitor" they will be "shift" and also change the frequency?

The "variable resistor" changes the time constants and so will a "variable capacitor" will change the time constant whats the
difference between the two?

Each frequency has its own wavelength. Low frequencies have wavelengths much longer than high frequencies.
If you make a small phase shift for a low frequency then is is much more phase shift at higher frequencies.

Time delay is the same. Delay the signal so there is a small phase shift at a low frequency, then higher frequencies will have much more phase shift.

A resistor in series then a capacitor to ground makes a phase shift. You can change the amount of phase shift by changing the resistor if the source can drive it if its resistance is low, or by changing the value of the capacitor.
Many values of variable resistors are made, and a variable resistor can be made electronically. Variable capacitors are made only in tiny values for radio frequencies.

Every network that has a combination of resistance and reactance (that is, capcitance and inductance) has a frequency/phase response. The frequency/phase response is set by the RLC network, and once you pick the values of R, L, and C, the phase and frequency are fixed. You cannot set them separately, because they are two ways of looking at the same thing.

In a phase shift network, it appears that you can shift phase without changing frequency response because the opamp is taking the difference between the output of the RC network and making up for the magnitude losses. But the relationship of phase shift to frequency for the R and C that determine the phase shift is not changed. It's still there in that constant magnitude output.

So you cannot change the phase shift and frequency response of a network independently. They are two parts of the same thing.
all resonances cause a phase shift

How can phase and frequency be the same thing?

walters said:
How can phase and frequency be the same thing?
They can't be the same. Phase relates to frequency because changing the frequency also changes the amount of phase-shift.

Why do you want all frequencies to have the same amount of phase-shift?
No flanging, comb-filtering and other "swooshing" frequency-related effects would be produced. If you add or subtract the original signal with the phase-shifted signal then only the amplitude of all frequencies would be changed by the same amount. The circuit would be just a volume control.

Phase relates to frequency because changing the frequency also changes the amount of phase-shift

How do i seperate the frequency from the phase?

If i change the frequency the phase changes also they are tied together it seem

frequency/phase are a unit they are together how can i seperate them?

Why separate frequency and phase? What effect on the sound would result?
I already described that if they were the same then the result would be just a volume control.
If you change the phase at only a single frequency then the result of adding or subtacting would be a notch or peak at that frequency.

I can't remember what the effect is called and the resulting sound of sweeping a notch or a peak.

change the phase at a single frequency

Yes i want to have a dial or knob from 0-360 degrees
and another dial or knob says frequency 100hz-20K hz

So i can set the phase shift to any frequency i want
i have control over what frequency i want giving its phase shift

20 degrees knob set i can turn it to any frequency lets say 500hz
50 degrees knob set turned to freqency 600hz

i have control of the frequency and what phase i want do u know what i mean have 2 seperated dials to SELECT the frequency and then SELECT its phase and shift?

walters said:
i have control of the frequency and what phase i want do u know what i mean have 2 seperated dials to SELECT the frequency and then SELECT its phase and shift?
Why?
You can't hear any difference if a frequency or many frequencies have a phase-shift. If you add or subtract them with the original then you have notches or peaks. Each frequency would be a narrow-band equalizer. If you sweep the frequencies of them all then it would be a comb filter.

Yes i will add and subtract them in the mixing/summing stage but before i need to set the frequency and what phase shift individually each frequency and its phase individually how do i set the frequency and phase individually for each frequency and phase and shift?

The mixing/summing stage will take care of it later of adding and notching out summing the dry with the wet signal

Whats the Difference between Phase VS shift?

What is the Shift? is the shift the lead or lag? but what is shift different than phase?

walters said:
Whats the Difference between Phase VS shift?
Phase is the same as phase-shift. They are measured in the number of degrees they differ from the original or reference signal.

What is the Shift? is the shift the lead or lag? but what is shift different than phase?
A lagging phase shift occurs in lowpass RC circuits. A leading phase-shift occurs in highpass circuits. Both occur in a resonant notch or peak circuit.

Can i use a "SCR" component to have waveshape?

Can i use a "SCR" to give different phase degrees?

Can i use a "SCR" to control the phase degrees?

walters said:
Can i use a "SCR" component to have waveshape?

Can i use a "SCR" to give different phase degrees?

Can i use a "SCR" to control the phase degrees?
No. SCR is a controlled rectifier.
u can 'chop' a signal with a control signal and the scr , to pass only, say half of the wave.or 3/4th ..etc..

1.) The basic purpose of the SCR is to function as a switch that can turn on or off small or large amounts of power.

2.) The SCR can often replace much slower and larger mechanical switches.

3.) The SCR is an extremely fast switch. It is difficult to cycle a mechanical switch several hundred times a minute; yet, some SCRs can be switched 25,000 times a second. It takes just microseconds (millionths of a second) to turn on or off these units. Varying the time that a switch is on as compared to the time that it is off regulates the amount of power flowing through the switch.

4.) Since most devices can operate on pulses of power (alternating current is a special form of alternating positive and negative pulse), the SCR can be used readily in control applications. Motor-speed controllers, inverters, remote switching units, controlled rectifiers, circuit overload protectors, latching relays, and computer logic circuits all use the SCR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back