Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Phase degrees in series with a Time based delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

walters

Banned
How do i add phase degree with a Time period delay?

If the circuit had a phase shift network filter in series with a delay chip to give a time period how can i add them?

Formula is like this:

60 degrees + 40 us= ?
80 degrees + 60ms= ?
20 degrees + 100 us = ?
40 degrees + 20ms=?
100 degrees + 100us= ?

divide the phase in degrees by 360 (which gives you the percentage of one cycle that the delay represents) and then multiply it by the period of the wave (1/frequency) and that transforms the phase delay into a time delay, then you can add that to the fixed time delay. if you want the answer as a phase delay, just go the other way: multiply the time delay by 360*frequency to get the corresponding phase delay, and then add them.

If the circuit is a Fixed phase shift network is series with a Fixed time delay BBD bucket delay chip how do i add them please?

60 degrees + 40 us= ?
80 degrees + 60ms= ?
20 degrees + 100 us = ?
40 degrees + 20ms=?
100 degrees + 100us= ?

I just answered your question, did you read my reply? you make no indication of what you're actually having trouble with.

a phase shift does not have any meaning in the time domain without the frequency of the signal... for example, a 60 degree phase shift on a 1KHz signal is a totally different amount of time than a 60 degree phase shift on a 1MHz signal. nor does a time delay have any meaning in terms of phase shift without the frequency of the signal. That's why you can't just add the two quantities directly, so you have to convert one of them to the type of the other, by using the simple math I described with the frequency of the signal. if you know the frequency of the signal then it's as simple as what I said before, or you can leave the frequency as a variable and come up with a simple equation for the time delay or phase shift with the same method.

Are u saying i have to add the frequencys or how do i convert the phase time domain into the delay time domain?

you can add a phase shift to a phase shift. you can add a time delay to a time delay.

but to add a phase shift to a time delay, you have to first convert one of them so they are both phase shifts, or both time delays.

time delay = phase shift/(360*frequency)
phase shift = time delay * 360 * frequency

for example:
60 degrees + 40 us= ?
assuming you have a 1KHz signal:
first convert 60 degrees to a time delay:
60/(360*1K) = 166.7us
then add the time delays:
166.7us + 40us = 206.7us (which is your answer)
or if you want that as a phase shift:
206.7*01^-6 * 360 * 1K = 74.412 degrees

Thanks alot Evandude this helps me out alot
for the examples

I like the examples how u converted both ways

Where do you buy bucket delay line ICs? They haven't been made for ages.

The phase shift network or filter sweeps or creates notches different than a Flanger or BBD chip create and sweeps notches.
When adding the phase shift notches + in series to a BBD chip it "samples" and records the phase shift notches and frequency domains
and converts it to a time domain plus it creates different notches and sweep them different

The BBD frequency notches are different than a phase shift network frequency notches and how they sweep the notches is different also.
This get complex because now the **BBD is sampling no dry signal but phase notches**

Whats the different from a BBD samping Dry signal and creating and sweeping the notches VS the BBD chip sampling phase shift notches not dry signal anymore?

A phase shift network is frequency domain VS a BBD chip is time domain
The phase shift network creates notches from a frequency domain and a BBD chip creates notches from a time domain

When putting a phase shift network before in series with a BBD chip its "mixing in series" frequency domain with time domain
this is what im confussed about is the "mixing in series" of frequency domain with time domain notches and sweeping notches

Phase shift network "sweeps" the notches in a frequency domain, a BBD chip "sweeps" the notches in a Time domain
now this get 'mixed in series" what happens? we have 2 different sweeping of notches going on in the frequency and time spectum.

evandude can i please have more examples like these
i like them alot and it helps me out alot did u read and understand what i mean be the series phase shift and BBD chip notches and frequencys?

time delay = phase shift/(360*frequency)
phase shift = time delay * 360 * frequency

for example:
60 degrees + 40 us= ?
assuming you have a 1KHz signal:
first convert 60 degrees to a time delay:
60/(360*1K) = 166.7us
then add the time delays:
166.7us + 40us = 206.7us (which is your answer)
or if you want that as a phase shift:
206.7*01^-6 * 360 * 1K = 74.412 degrees

I need more of this stuff i like this alot

Can u please give me examples about BBD chips in time domain
how to sweep the notches and creates notches?

walters said:
Can u please give me examples about BBD chips in time domain
how to sweep the notches and creates notches?
Didn't you see my link to the excellent site about flanging using a time delay (like a BBD)? It even has sound examples.

Yes audio i have read it many times i still need help with these special questions i have can u give me some examples please?

Does a BBD chip create degrees or phase angles?

because 40us=360 degrees
so if the BBD time period delay it 40us would that be 360 degrees?

walters said:
Yes audio i have read it many times i still need help with these special questions i have can u give me some examples please?
The site explains very clearly how the notches and peaks are made and how. Many examples are there.
I don't understand why you don't understand.

walters said:
Does a BBD chip create degrees or phase angles?

because 40us=360 degrees
so if the BBD time period delay it 40us would that be 360 degrees?
You have already been told that a time delay produces different phase shfts at different frequencies. There is no need for calculation. Just listen to the effect on the link as the delay time and mixing is changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back