Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pg2c question

Status
Not open for further replies.

gastonanthony

anybody used a pg2c before? I made a pg2c programmer and i don't know whether it is working or not, the led doesn't light up, i'm using icprog software, when must the LED light up?what settings should i set or change in icprog?thanks :D

i finally got a programmer blinking from the serial port when programming the pic, but i now have a new problem, upon clicking verify, i got -verify failed at address 0000h. and when i checked if the device is blank-device is blank. what could be the problem?the programmer or the PIC?i'm using a olimex pg2c (the rs232 powered programmer)

This usually means the PIC isn't been switched to programming mode, the usual cause is too little voltage on the MCLR pin.

If your programmer is powered from the serial port (like the JDM programmers), this is a VERY common complaint - as it requires your serial port to be above RS232 spec.

gastonanthony said:
is there any easy solution to my problem besides replacing my programmer? :D
What type of PIC are you trying to program? I also have this programmer and I could never verify any 18F PIC. It works with 16F... strange. Funny thing is, that the 18F will get programmed, but the verify fails. Try to disable "verify durring programming" and "Verfy after programming" features. It might help.

BTW: I solved this issue by building new Programmer: ICD2 Clone :lol:

i'm trying to program an old 16f84. Is the pic really that sensitive to static discharge?strange..i tried to program it again and verify it, and it worked!problem is, when i checked if it is blank-yes it is still blank!how can it be verified if it is blank!?? :?:

gastonanthony said:
i'm trying to program an old 16f84. Is the pic really that sensitive to static discharge?strange..i tried to program it again and verify it, and it worked!problem is, when i checked if it is blank-yes it is still blank!how can it be verified if it is blank!?? :?:

PIC's are VERY robust, I've never seen one damaged by static - I've even had them so hot I've got one with my finger print burnt on it's top :lol: and that still works fine (don't fit them the wrong way round!).

If your MCLR voltage is marginal it may work sometimes, and not others, personally I don't advise using these crude 'serial port' programmers - which is why WinPicProg doesn't support them!.

gastonanthony said:
Make sure you are not programming the PIC with all 1's, if so verify passes. Also if you use Ic-prog, try changing "Enable Vcc control for JDM" checkbox in setting, it might help you.

I have never had a single problem with PIC being ESD sensitive....

ok, I give up. I chose the olimex programmer because it claims that it can program a wide variety of PICs. If i knew back then that these programmers have these kinds of problems, i would have never touch their schematics.
1. What other programmer could program a wide variety of PICs?
2.What is this ICD2 Clone?is it compatible with ICPROG?(if yes, what device should I choose in the hardware settings?)What are the types of PICs that it can program?
BTW: thanks for all the help and for the speedy replies :D :D :D

gastonanthony said:
ok, I give up. I chose the olimex programmer because it claims that it can program a wide variety of PICs. If i knew back then that these programmers have these kinds of problems, i would have never touch their schematics.
1. What other programmer could program a wide variety of PICs?
2.What is this ICD2 Clone?is it compatible with ICPROG?(if yes, what device should I choose in the hardware settings?)What are the types of PICs that it can program?
BTW: thanks for all the help and for the speedy replies :D :D :D
1. Please read "Newcommers, please read! (PIC regarded)" Sticky
2. ICD2 Clone is a copy of Microchips ICD2. Its cheap and it works with MPLAB. It programs *any* PIC with ICSP (almost all of them) and it can even debug the PIC (you can see whats hapenning in the PIC, while its soldered in circuit). The big advantage is that every new version of MPLAB adds support of new PIC... Disadvanges are that it is not supported by Ic-prog, is more difficult tu build and is more expensive (it has 16F876 controller PIC inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back