Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Persistent state relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whimsy

Is there a relay, probably single pole double throw, that maintains its current state when the voltage which actuates it is turned off? To clarify: lets say that this relay is in the normally closed position. A voltage is applied which sends it to the opposite position, then stays in that position even when the voltage is turned off. I realize that the concept of normally closed or open does not apply to such a device, however that seems like viable language to explain my concept.

It general, I'm trying to capture a momentary voltage, and have it persist even when it ceases to exist. I've explored flip-flops, but they seem over complex for what I'm trying to achieve.

An impulse relay is essentially a high power toggle flipflop.

ak

Attachments

• Impulse-S89RS90R_0505.pdf
    76.6 KB · Views: 125
That too. magnetic latching relays come in single and dual coil. One coil is named SET and the other RESET. A permanent magnet keeps it in it's switched state and a little extra electro-magnetics switches the state. Reversing the polarity will also change it's state,

The impulse and magnetic latching relay does require a minimum pulse width,

FRAM is a sold state technology that does not require power to change or hold a state.

Circuits exist to make a dual coil relay toggle. They are a bit complex.

Thanks to all for your replies. I jumped on the Jameco site and looked up latching relays. A DS2Y made by Panasonic looks like it might be a fit for my project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back