Persistent state relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whimsy

Is there a relay, probably single pole double throw, that maintains its current state when the voltage which actuates it is turned off? To clarify: lets say that this relay is in the normally closed position. A voltage is applied which sends it to the opposite position, then stays in that position even when the voltage is turned off. I realize that the concept of normally closed or open does not apply to such a device, however that seems like viable language to explain my concept.

It general, I'm trying to capture a momentary voltage, and have it persist even when it ceases to exist. I've explored flip-flops, but they seem over complex for what I'm trying to achieve.

An impulse relay is essentially a high power toggle flipflop.

ak

Attachments

• Impulse-S89RS90R_0505.pdf
    76.6 KB · Views: 126
That too. magnetic latching relays come in single and dual coil. One coil is named SET and the other RESET. A permanent magnet keeps it in it's switched state and a little extra electro-magnetics switches the state. Reversing the polarity will also change it's state,

The impulse and magnetic latching relay does require a minimum pulse width,

FRAM is a sold state technology that does not require power to change or hold a state.

Circuits exist to make a dual coil relay toggle. They are a bit complex.

Thanks to all for your replies. I jumped on the Jameco site and looked up latching relays. A DS2Y made by Panasonic looks like it might be a fit for my project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…