Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Permanent magnet alternator regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky_Tony

Hello,
Im looking for a way to make an permanent magnet alternator regulator. I'm working on a 40hp Mercury outboard engine. It has a stator/system that produces about 15-20 amps. The factory regulator is an epoxy potted, junk p.o.s. that dosn't last more than one season. We've had different batterys, making sure the charge was correct, and minimal external loads, if any.
I'd like to come up with a nice 25 amp rectifier, so it dosn't burn out, but need a schematic to regulate the stator voltage. I think they do it by shorting the field, I couldn't see it other way....?
I appreciate your responses.
Thanks,
Tony

Prestolite made a regulator that is easy to work with. Only B+, field and ground. Chrysler used it on all of their inboards and some old Crusader 454s. It is also an epoxy potted, junk p.o.s. but it should last a few seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back