Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Perhaps a simple problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there

I have build a simple 7-segment circuit of a CD4028 (4-to-10 line converter) and two LED segments. My VDD is 5V and so is all the input. Turning on the first transistor and input the binary number 0b0001 should light up the "b"-segment, but it only appears very weak. The voltage across is only 0.2V and the output from the CD4028 is only 0.9V.

I have tried to change chip a few times, shorted the resistors to give more current but it still doesn't help - annoying, need help.

Attachments

• SEGMENT.JPG
    SEGMENT.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 154
I think that the 4028 can't source enough current out of each pin. It is a decoder without an output power stage, if I remember correctly. The 4511 might be better?

The output current of an ordinary Cmos IC like the CD4028 when it has only 5V for its supply is only about 1mA. The 390 ohm resistors additionally reduce the output current to about 0.8mA. Very dim.

The CD4028 is not a 7-segment driver anyway. It is a BCD to Decimal decoder. Only one output goes high at one time.

Your voltage measurements don't make sense. Each segment that is activated will have about 1.8V across it. Then the output voltage of the IC will be about 2.1V.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back