Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKS

Hi hello,

i'm new in this world (only know basics)

i was wondering what is the difference between the ATMEL range and the PIC range or is it just where you start whit you never leave??

or is it the price/ the performance..??/

and apart from the price wy we should use Intel 8085 chips??
whit mem external and external I/o chips..

TKS

Biggest diffirence between pic and avr is the instruction set. Avr's have more instructions wich make assembler a bit harder to learn (more to know), on the other side, avr's are much better to program in a high level language (C for example). their more advanced instruction set makes it easyer for a compiler to generate efficient code - compared to PIC16 devices. The newer Pic18 devices have a enhanced instruction set of their own, including hardware multiplier, their C support had become good also.

Also, the complete development enviroment you need is diffirent for the two. you've got a programmer, software, etc... for a pic, but you can't use it for a avr, and vice versa.

It mostly comes down to personal preference. Try to experiment with both, and you will see what you like most.

As for the 8085. I don't see a reason to use it. All the info i find about it seems to point out it runs at 3Mhz max, and you need a whole bunch of external components wich make board production harder.
It might have it's advantages though, i'm not really familiar with intel's chips

hi i think one of the best pic is 18f84-16f8xx series because if u are a hobbyst and wanna do some yhings like led blinking,lcd,push buttons u can use a cheap pic instead.this microcontrollers are esay found everywhere and used in most of the electronic devices.if u carefully look around u can see many examples.atmel processors have more capacitiy and i think they are more useful for industrial projects.so u will choose where o start.

Another one to look at is the 8051. Its quite old and as a result its a little bizzare (very CISC). However almost every company that makes microcontrollers has an 8051 so you can find them in almost any configuration from multiple vendors. If the figures I've seen are correct then the 8051 archetecture makes up over 50% of total 8Bit micro sales. Silicon labs makes a very fast line of 8051s (up to 100MIPS) and has great develpment kits. Atmel, Philips, Maxim, Oki and Analog devices all have 8051 micros.

Brent

I would like to use one

but i would need also a "shopping" list of the rest what i need

-memory
-i/o chips (digital)

where do i fins a project of that

TKS

p.s. if you have 100Mhz whit a lot of work

doesn't work it better if you would connect 2 PIC16F877 (20Mhz) in netwrok I2C whit a serial eeprom (1ms write time) sow they can

work together??

f.e. cpu 1 does all the I/O and cpu2 only calculates timings and does the injection..??

The Silicon labs chips contain everything you need - memory, IO, timmers, UARTS, Internal oscillator. Same Idea as with a PIC or AVR just different CPU. Go to www.silabs.com they have great development kits that will have you up and running in minutes. **broken link removed** You can order right off their site.

Making two processors work together is much slower and more complicated than one processor running at twice the speed. To make a two processor setup work you really need an external memory bus and dual port ram. I2C is much to slow to work for this app.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back