Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Peavey VYPYR75 Guitar Amplifier Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

tystolk

I have a Peavey VYPYR75 Modeling Amplifier and after about 10 to 15 minutes of playing on it the sound through the speaker slowly fades out and then I hear a pop from the speaker and there is no sound output what so ever. The tech. from Peavey I talked to said this was a malfunction in the Headphone jack muting switch causing the speaker to cut out. I know this isn't the case as the headphone jack doesn't work after the sound quits. The amp acts and sounds like the main amp board is shutting down. Similar to when I turn the power off on my smaller practice amp the Peavey Rage 158. I was hoping for some useful suggestions. I also asked Peavey for the schematics for this amp, over a week later... still no response.

I'd first try temperature as cause. How long do you need to shut it down before it works again? Try putting a fan to blow over the heatsinks (solid state, Right?) and see if that extends run time. Oh, does it have a fan & does it work?
The slow fadeout is probably due to a thermal sensor on the heatsink that backs down the base drives in the output stage. Are you running the amp into its' proper speaker load? Excess load will cause overheating.

Don't hold your breath on the schematics... <<<)))

Last edited:
Modelling amps were just becoming popular when I was lucky enough to be spared the pain of having to fix them...
I had a Yamaha amp one time do something similar to this, turned out to be a 12V or was it 9V I can't remember now, regulator transistor with a thermal o/c emitter. Check the preamp power supplies before it cuts off and then again afterwards...also, seeing as your amp uses the all singing and dancing sharc processor, check around that too for missing supplies just in case...I would also check the main supply rails in case you have a dodgy fuse holder or something.

rgds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back