Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Peak voltage frequency detector

Status
Not open for further replies.

darryl_co

Hi folks,
I found this circuit of Lead acid battery maximizer on the net.As we change R2 there is a "maximum" voltage point, a building up and then a decaying away again in the High impedance voltmeter or DVM .What circuit can be added to automatically lock into the resonant frequency or to the maximum voltage point by monitoring the peak ringing voltage? The setting of R2 changes with different batteries.

Attachments

• Lead acid battery maximiser.jpg
    Lead acid battery maximiser.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 175
Pulse Charging is total crap. It does nothing that cannot be done with an "equalization charge", which has been around since the 1920s.

Pulse Charging is total crap. It does nothing that cannot be done with an "equalization charge", which has been around since the 1920s.

"equalization charge" is to maintain the battery and pulse charging is to maintain and revive a battery.There are people on different forums that claim success.Claims made by companies could be a marketing gimmick but DIY enthusiast posting their experiences are genuine,maybe some of them exaggerate.My personal experience proves it a success.My two wheeler battery (12V/5A/hr) never lasted for more than 2 years,max to max 3 years.This circuit was tried on a declared failed battery by the battery charging personnel.Symptom for me failed electric start.In a weeks time the battery was revived and used it for total of seven years.

Darryl,

Your success would have been the same if you "equalized" the battery, especially if you did it once or twice a year.

I have built several pulse chargers, and done comparative tests. If you took two identical, neglected, sulphated batteries, equalized one, and pulsed the other, the net improvement in capacity will ultimately be similar. However, using equalization, the improvement takes a few hours, while pulsing takes weeks. Equalization applies a constant-current of ~2A to a battery for a few hours. Pulsing applies a small-constant current (~100mA) to the battery for several days to weeks. The only difference is that pulsing just takes longer.

All of the "resonance of crystals" on those web sites is pure bunk. The net effect is of the pulsers is that they are a very CRAPPY constant-current source.

I do believe you because as compared to my experience of 1 unit to your several units built and compared is negligible.Just would like to add that Equalization needs the battery to be removed from the vehicle but pulse charger can be fitted and kept in the vehicle(my view, experience).Any help in development "Peak voltage frequency detector" would be highly appreciated,so that my experience can grow by trying the unit in more vehicles.As days pass the setting has to be adjusted for better results.Going by your word I will start using Equalization charging once or twice a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back