Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pcbs direct from printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew2022

would printing direct from a printer to a pcb work or would it need special ink? if this would work am gonna make a few changes to my printer so it can take copper boards instead of paper...

I tried this with an old Star printer, all I had to do is modify a roller since the paper normally feeds straight through. The problem was the ink, it would spread all over on the copper. Too bad plotters are so expensive!

I can't wait to see how you would modify a printer to accept a rigid board... they run it through all kinds of drums.

Look up the laser printing process first. As I recall, it uses a photosensitive roller (which can't be exposed to a lot of bright light), a corona discharge rail, and toner transfer. I'd be fascinated to see how it could be done to a PCB, because I don't see how it's possible.

You do know they make PCB transfer sheets, right? The printer ink will stick to it until you transfer it onto the PCB. Never used it myself, I just photoetch.

Oznog said:
I can't wait to see how you would modify a printer to accept a rigid board... they run it through all kinds of drums.

Look up the laser printing process first. As I recall, it uses a photosensitive roller (which can't be exposed to a lot of bright light), a corona discharge rail, and toner transfer. I'd be fascinated to see how it could be done to a PCB, because I don't see how it's possible.

You do know they make PCB transfer sheets, right? The printer ink will stick to it until you transfer it onto the PCB. Never used it myself, I just photoetch.

my laser printer is pretty straight (apart from the output where it bends, altho i can cut a hole in the back for the output). all i would need to do is move a few parts (obviously on a spare laser...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back