Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB space between traces

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimg

How much space needs to be between PCB traces that will carry 120V AC?
Specifically, in this picture, how much space between the pads? The current should be less than 16ma.

Attachments

• pcb.jpg
    pcb.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
What does the big oval thing represent? :D

jimg said:
So, no words of wisdom for a dumb newbie hobbyist?

I would merely state the obvious! - it's NOT a good idea to put the components side by side like that, as you're reducing the gap between traces. There may be some formula to work it out?, but common sense says the further the better!.

I would think that you need to consider the dielectric strength of air which is given in several refs as 20-75 kV/inch or 20-75 V/mil. Based on this, 100 mil spacing should be sufficient (2kV). What isn't clear to me is the effect of humidity on breakdown voltage.

Interestingly breakdown voltage increases with humidity, but you need to leave a bigger gap because condensation on the surface of the insulator will increase tracking.

Thank you all. So stagger them to increase the gap, and maybe putting a glop of silicon caulk to stop condensation/humidity ought to be sufficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back