Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB Software recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

lloydi12345

Hi, I would like to seek recommendation on what pcb softeware to buy. I want to build PCB from another high end PCB Layout Software. I have been using Eagle PRO for quite a long time already. I liked it because in one software there's already schematic and pcb layout but what I hate is that the components are not complete and I need to create some manually. Though, some of the components are downloadable from their site. I am really unsure if Cadence Orcad and Cadence Allegro are the same since they are all cadence. I would like to purchase a pcb software with a 2 in 1 package also which has schematic and pcb layout with the most updated components available.

I would like to purchase the software from https://www.ema-eda.com/ and there are just lots of packages there offered for orcad and allegro. I don't know which one has the all in one package deal. I don't really mind the cost but I would prefer the product that would be payed once only with a lifetime use.

Thanks and regards,

lloyd

My experience is drawing symbols and associated footprints is part and parcel of being a designer.

I personally feel buying another package will be a waste of money, there will always be parts you want to use which do not exist in any library. That's my experience anyway (Protel, PADS, Cadstar & Proteus).

Every designer I know (myself inlcuded) gets trapped into one particular package. After a few years you have drawn all the symbols for your commonly used bits, and footprints. Each board you tweak the footprints to allow easier construction. Once you have a few years worth of work (and tweaks) you will never want to change your ECAD package ;).

Last edited:
Exactly, no pcb software has all the parts, the same way as no simulation software has all the models.
At work we are using Orcad Capture EE and PCB Designer professional. It has pretty good libraries, but still for anything like connectors, non-standard relays, CPUs and soforth you have to make your own libraries anyway.

Thanks for all of your input but I wanted to try a pcb software for advance to expert level. I am using Eagle Pro at work but I think it is useful for beginners to intermediate only. I think a more industry oriented pcb layout software would better suit my need in development. I would like to take the path of development using cadence. Can you point me to the right direction on developing PCBs from schematic to layout and if possible to 3d visualization using Cadence?

Thanks and regards,

lloyd

You can easily define pacakge heights in orcad, so this allows you to export a 3d model of the board. The models don´t look too pretty, but if you have the heights and shapes correct, you get a fair idea how the board fits into the mechanical parts. Also, you can do it the other way, so you have the mechanics first with the mounting holes etc, then you export the shape of the board into allegro. We use solidworks for the 3d modelling.

I see you are going for the Cadence software. I don't know much about that, but I'd like point out two alternative software for you to consider.

First one is Labcenter Proteus. Great for hobbyists and also professionals. Lightweight and relatively cheap. Drawing symbols and footprints is very easy.. and the library system is simple and great. Proteus comes with very extensive part and footprint library. I have used Proteus over five years and I like it very much.
https://www.labcenter.com/index.cfm

Second is the ultimate professional software package for electronics design. The Altium Designer.. It has everything. Not cheap and not lightweigh. This is for big companies and true professionals.
https://www.altium.com/

Last edited:
I totally agree with MisterT. Proteus is excellent, sometimes I could do with some of the signal integrity estimation features of Altium but Proteus is so nice to use. Eagle's interface is rather horrid in comparison in my opinion.

I have managed to do everything I want with Proteus without ever referring to a manual (multi part symbols for FPGA banks, jtag etc, making my own footprints, multiple copper pours), and I love it's intuitive it is. My brief try of eagle had my reaching for a manual quite often.

I personally don't care much for the Proteus PCB layout editor (ARES). I, myself, have used EAGLE for many different boards. You can also install a program called Eagle3D which is sort of an add-on to the schematic and pcb editior. You click the "ulp" button at the top of EAGLE and it takes you to Eagle3D, where you can create the 3-dimensional rendering of your board. That's what I've done, anyway.

I've heard great things about Orcad though. Definitely an industry-based program. If you make a decision, please keep us posted. I'm curious as to your experiences with different software.

Best wishes,
Matt

Last edited:
I personally like Proteus Ares for PCBs, but I have been using it for about 6+ years now and have a lot of PCBs under my belt. Eagle just seems to have such an odd interface coming from any other package I have used, also having no integrated spice based simulator is a big downer for me. I have yet to see Eagle used in a proper company to be honest. Proteus it's possible to simulate your whole system (microcontroller, analogue, digital + CPLDs), I have debugged firmware before even making the system.

Orcad is one of the nicest for carrying out simulations, I was taught it at uni many a year ago. Last time I checked the price on Altium it was WAY outside my budget :p

What you need really depends on what you do, good luck finding a suitable package :)

I have used Proteus for a few years now. I like it's ease of use and rarely have to consult any manuals. Although there are some bugs I have run into in multiple versions that causes me to pause in giving a recommendation.

I have tried out both Orcad and Altium Designer. I would have to say I liked Altium Desginer better, as it's interface is more intuitive and it seems to work better in a single engineer environment. Orcad definitely can do pretty much anything, but it assumes it's going to be used in a much larger environment/company than I have. Altium was much better for a single workstation.

Proteus is by far the cheapest of the three, and is a great value for the price (minus the bugs.) I'd say Altium is next. Even though it has a high initial cost, it's yearly renewal fess are quite reasonable. Orcad doesn't really have a top end to it's cost, as there are so many add-on's to it you can easily spend 10k or more.

My two cents.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back