Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB Printing help

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammy004

Hi guys I am using Eagle to make a PCB found some really good YouTube tutorials on how to use it and now I got the board made but I just don't know how to print just the traces not the resistors pictures or any other stuff on the board, I just want to be able to print just the traces and the text of whatever I write. Can anyone help me with this it will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Sammy

layers icon is the icon below the letter "i" (information) icon

turn off all the layers but for the bottom pads and vias to print the bottom
turn off all but the top pads and vias to print the top
I use the dimension line too as a border that I can trim to.

Last edited:
layers icon is the icon below the letter "i" (information) icon

turn off all the layers but for the bottom pads and vias to print the bottom
turn off all but the top pads and vias to print the top
I use the dimension line too as a border that I can trim to.

Thanks 3v0 for the quick reply messing with it I also went to view and display hide layers and then I just turned them off there but I will also try the way you told me. I have one problem when I print it now it is really small like I mean my pot barely fits on it what can I do to increase the size? also can you tell me what **broken link removed** will be called in the library?

What I would do is to open the relay lib and find one with the same footprint and pin assignments. The pin assignments are most likely correct.

If you only see the schematic sym you need to click on the part to expand the possible footprints (pcb pads).

The parts should exactly fit. Make board with a few 40 position pinheaders (lib pinhead). Use ones with .1 inch pitch. Use a row up and a row across. Then check to see if the scale is correct.

If you are new to board layout post an image of the artwork. The people here will be glad to give suggestions.

Last edited:
You should check the 'scale factor' setting on the print panel as well. Make sure the scale is 1.

There are a number of things/settings that can cause wrong scaling but first he needs to check to see if it is wrong.

He said
I have one problem when I print it now it is really small like I mean my pot barely fits on it what can I do to increase the size?

So lets have him check the scaling first as I suggested rather then change it because he picked the wrong part or other such thing.

Scaling should be set to 1. That means 1:1 scale factor. So that setting is fine.

Last edited:
No I haven't tried that how do I do that?

From the 'pinhead' library, add two of the 'PINHD-1x11' components to your schematic. (I chose 1x11 so that the centre of each end pin pad will measure 1")

Switch to board view and place one of the headers horizontally and rotate the other so it is vertical.

Go to the main menu bar & select 'view'.

Select 'Display/Hide Layers...'

Make sure only 16 & 17 (bottom & pads) are highlighted, then click 'OK'.

Go to main menu 'File', then 'Print' and print out your copper mask.

Measure both the horizontal and vertical 1x11 headers and make sure the centre-point of each of the end pin pads measures 1"

From the 'pinhead' library, add two of the 'PINHD-1x11' components to your schematic. (I chose 1x11 so that the centre of each end pin pad will measure 1")

Switch to board view and place one of the headers horizontally and rotate the other so it is vertical.

Go to the main menu bar & select 'view'.

Select 'Display/Hide Layers...'

Make sure only 16 & 17 (bottom & pads) are highlighted, then click 'OK'.

Go to main menu 'File', then 'Print' and print out your copper mask.

Measure both the horizontal and vertical 1x11 headers and make sure the centre-point of each of the end pin pads measures 1"

I don't even know where the pinhead library is.

Do you know how to add a component?

In Schematic view, click the logic symbol with a black arrow - found to the right of the X symbol (Delete) on the toolbar at the left of the screen.

From the dropdown list which opens in a new window, scroll down to 'pinhead' and click the + to expand the tree.

From there, scroll down and select 'PINHD-1x11', then click 'OK'. The new window closes and you are back in Schematic view, with an outline of the 1x11 pin-header.

Click once to place a header, then move the mouse and click again to place another. Once you have both headers placed, hit the ESC key.

Switch to Board view - the icon on the menu bar beneath File Edit Draw...etc, which looks like a logic symbol above a chip outline.

Arrange/rotate the headers so that one is horizontal and the other is vertical.

As noted in the other post from yesterday, select the layers 16 & 17 only, then print your board.

Measure the from the CENTRE of pin 1 to the CENTRE of pin 11 and you should have exactly 1" if your settings are correct.

Does this help?

Last edited:
Do you know how to add a component?

In Schematic view, click the logic symbol with a black arrow - found to the right of the X symbol (Delete) on the toolbar at the left of the screen.

From the dropdown list which opens in a new window, scroll down to 'pinhead' and click the + to expand the tree.

From there, scroll down and select 'PINHD-1x11', then click 'OK'. The new window closes and you are back in Schematic view, with an outline of the 1x11 pin-header.

Click once to place a header, then move the mouse and click again to place another. Once you have both headers placed, hit the ESC key.

Switch to Board view - the icon on the menu bar beneath File Edit Draw...etc, which looks like a logic symbol above a chip outline.

Arrange/rotate the headers so that one is horizontal and the other is vertical.

As noted in the other post from yesterday, select the layers 16 & 17 only, then print your board.

Measure the from the CENTRE of pin 1 to the CENTRE of pin 11 and you should have exactly 1" if your settings are correct.

Does this help?

Thanks mickster for all your help. So I did as you said and I get exactly 1" with 12 pins so from 1 to 12 not 1 to 11. So something is wrong huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back