Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB Materials and Antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

quixotron

Hello. Most of you know, that I am an antenna engineer. i'm working on some pcb antennas, the permitivity of the board effects the antenna's effective length and impedance bandwidth. the soldermask also detunes the device, since the soldermask layer covers the copper trace an confines the electric and magnetic fields closer to the board , thus allowing current to propagate inside of the dielectric.

simulating a pcb antenna is a son of a bi+tch! well not really, but i really like to model my devices as accurately as possible, that way i have little manual tuning at fab time and none at production time.

does anyone recommend any textbooks that list electrical not mechnical, material properties of dielectrics in detail at several frequencies? alot of data sheets and pcb vendors give broad specs at a few frequencies. alot of times, i have extrapolate or even measure the the permitivity of the dielectric to fine tune my model.

any help will be appreciated.

Hi this site and rf global net are really helpful. i got the answer already after much hard work and -35 dBm gain of help from you guys et al.

i think i understand now, you guys give me the cold shoulder so i could come up with the solution on my own after much frustration and researching, while i should be out clubbing with the guys and getting sweet honies' phone numbers.

kinda like in last dragon, where leroy's quest to find the master was already within him!

cruel...but nonetheless instructive.

Last edited:
When you ask a question that few if any people have the answer for you may not get a useful reply.

Think about this. The next time a person needs the info you found he will find your posts on the subject, and they will provide no useful information.

Share what you learned..... yes?

@quixotron: As I mentioned in a PM, I didn't respond because it's evident to me that you know much more about the subject than I do. If that's a cold shoulder, that's your problem not mine. I do possess a broad knowledge, but I've never read books on the subject of PCB antennas. I've read the ARRL Antenna Book several times in hopes that I absorb something, but I don't recall a treatment of PCB antennas.

If you understand Maxwell's Equations, you are waaay ahead of 99.9999% of the population. Including me.

Hi this site and rf global net are really helpful. i got the answer already after much hard work and -35 dBm gain of help from you guys et al.

i think i understand now, you guys give me the cold shoulder so i could come up with the solution on my own after much frustration and researching, while i should be out clubbing with the guys and getting sweet honies' phone numbers.

kinda like in last dragon, where leroy's quest to find the master was already within him!

cruel...but nonetheless instructive.

3v0 is right, you are being worst than the ones you say LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back