Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB making toner transfer method image help

Status
Not open for further replies.

darknezz19

Hey guys. So I have this image of a pcb I want to attempt to make using the toner transfer method. Here's another example of the design.

With those two pictures to work with what's all involved getting that to print to scale with the laser printer? I believe the first picture is to scale and everything. Do i need to trace it out in eagle or just separate the two sides with photoshop and print off that. Thanks for the help.

I think it will take more work to separate the layers from your first image with Photoshop than to recreate the circuit with Eagle. Your second image have the layers already separated but out of scaled. The best thing to do is draw the circuit in Eagle and route the PCB. Then print the bottom layer with pads and vias and then print a mirror image of the top layer with vias. Just keep in mind that the 40 pin component will be hard to do specially if this is going to be your first PCB.

Mike

Can you recommend an Eagle tutorial to get me started. Do I add the tsop40 and then the pdip36 and then route traces from the tsop40 to the pdip? This device library that comes with Eagle is kinda hard to search through. I found the tsop 40 device but can't find a pdip 36.

Edit
Almost forgot to say thanks for the reply lilimike... so thanks:)

Edit2
When you said the 40 pin component would be hard to do were you suggesting the overall process of fabing the traces and etching or did you mean soldering? I feel comfortable soldering but am wondering if the photo paper transfer method is reliable enough for traces this small.

Last edited:
Sparkfun is a good place to start learning, on there you can also learn to create your own parts.

In making my own PCBs I found Press'n peel blue paper to be the best way to go, others on this forum might have other ways.

When I found This place I have stopped making my own PCBs, for such low price it's not worth the trouble. I made it a rule that I will make my own single layer when I need it super rush but otherwise for $20 you can get professional look and the solder mask makes it easier to work with.

If this is your first PCB the 40 pins will be hard to do because the pins are very close to each other, when doing my own boards I was doing ok with through holes components but started struggling with surface mount components like this 40 pin.

Mike

What about for something like this? Anyone have any tricks to get this to scale for use with the photo transfer method? The traces are bit easier to work with on this one me thinks. Cheers:)

*Edit*
Grammar.

*Edit2*
Here is another pic of the board with dimensions given. I'm just wondering if those two measurements are from pcb corner to corner or the copper underneath.

Last edited:
With issues such as these I typically go to trial and error. Set printer to rough draft quality toner save mode and print out the PCB design. If you have one of the ICs handy hold it to the print out and see if the pins line up. Adjust accordingly. IC pins are the most picky so once those line up you're set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back