Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB lettering

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZdave

What do you use for lettering your PCB's?

If you are looking for the while lettering its called silkscreen. Unless you want to spend your life writing white letters on PCBs your best bet is to have a fab house do it for you.

Sparkfun has an unbeleivably cheap offer: $2.50 / square Inch with solder mask and silkscreen in quanity 1. They have some batch deal with a PCB fab in China. **broken link removed**

On the foil/solder side or the top side if a double-sided board, my lettering is in copper, etched right along with the circuit. If a single-sided board or a double-sided board where I'd like to have black lettering, after etching, I use the toner transfer method to apply lettering to the top side of the board, then fix it in place with a few light coats of Krylon clear spray, allowing each coat to thoroughly dry before applying the next.

Dean

bmcculla,

Yes you're right manufactures do silkscreen white lettering on their PCB's. However, I don't have that kind of equipment. Also, I do agree that I wouldn't want to spend the rest of my life writing on PCB's. I also would not want to try rubbing on dry-transfer lettering.

I am just curious, so asked the question: "What do you use for lettering your PCB's?"

Lately I've been adding text to my PCB's just in copper, using Eagle. I just label things to make assembly easier. like pin 1 location, positive power connctions, positive sides of capacitors, stuff like that.

You might not be able to see it all that well, but like this:
**broken link removed**

AZdave said:
I am just curious, so asked the question: "What do you use for lettering your PCB's?"
If you have done component soldering on a PCB before, you wouldn't be asking this question. :lol:

We generally don't get excited about hand soldering components on a pcb. You see a space marked for a component "R1", you refer to the component list and find out that it's a 330 ohm resistor. You find the required resistor and solder it on. Now imagine if components are not marked. Next, imagine if there are 100 components on the board. I personally don't derive much pleasure from reading component layouts.

WOW! What a hostile group... :twisted:

I thought I would have some interesting, fun to read, feedback :? like DirtyLude's and Dean Huster's replies. Thanks for your inputs!

checkmate, I have been soldering PCB componets as a hobby for about 30 years. I make my own PCB's and enjoy it. I find it relaxing to design, test, make the PCB, solder the componets and see my creation operate.

Once I make the PCB there are sometimes items I like to identify for information or furture reference/enhancements. For instance, an LM34 (TO-92) temperature sensor looks like a transistor so I labeled it, another example would be the unused pins of an IC that could be used in the future for enhancements/changes or the pins on a µC.

For those that are interested... I use clear Avery labels (inkjet), print the info in 6pt, cut them to fit, stick 'em on (componet side), then coat the board with a couple coats of clear spray. For double-sided boards I mask the solder pads as well, using 'removable' label material, before spraying the board.

My apologies. I somehow misread your question into why we provide silkscreens. So sorry about that. Must have been too tired.
Anyway, I do it like the rest, which is to provide them as copper traces. They last once we lacquer the whole board.

Checkmate,

8) Apology accepted! I too mis-read information when I am tired but also a lot of times even when I'm not tired. :eek:

Do you do electronics as a hobby? Also, do you have your boards made in order to get the lettering when it's etched?

I don't have my boards made as it would take some of the fun out of the hobby. I don't have a lazer printer to do the iron on trick so I hand draw the traces etc. using a Sharpie and straigt edge. The first few I made looked terrible. Now that I have made a few they look pretty decent.

Here's how I make 'em. I use PCB CAD software to create the traces, solder pads etc. Save the drawing as a bitmap file. Then bring the file into Paint Shop Pro, reverse the image, resize if necessary and print it creating a template. I tape the printed page to an old piece of plywood and use the point of a scratch awl to put a series of pinholes along the centerline of the traces. I cut the PCB image down to the board size and tape it to the board along one edge. I tape it along one edge only so I can flip the template back out of the way if I need too and flip it back to the exact same place. Using the Sharpie I draw over the traces on the paper copy template leaving dotted lines (from the pin holes) on the board. Using the template I play "connect-the-dots". I etch the board, add lettering as desired then spray it to seal the lettering.

Of course I can't do 0.007" trace lines but it works well on 0.030" traces and larger. A simple circuit on a 3"x4" board I made for a benchtop powersupply took less than 2 hours. A more complexed circuit on a 6"x6" board with a 3-digit clock took me the better part of a day.

Well, I'm an EE student, but I also do electronics as a hobby.
I make my PCBs via UV exposure. I DIYed a single-sided UV exposure box from a spoilt scanner.
Can do 15mil tracks and SOICs with reasonable success rates. Havent tried any smaller SMDs yet. You should really try using photoexposure. Quality is better, and it's fast. 1 min to print, 6-7 mins to expose and another 10-15 mins to etch. When I spoil one, I waste at most 30mins.
The rest of the time is spent drilling boring holes.
My "silkscreen" is simply copper like the others. Like what I said, the last process would be a lacquer spray, which would pretty much protect the wordings and all copper tracks reasonably well. And best of all, this lacquer can be soldered through, and actually makes solder flow a little better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back