Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pcb layout software

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Sprint Layout 5.0

Very simple, very cheap and very effective.

I liked it so much that instead of trying to hack it, I just bought it. The support is pretty good - only ever had a few hours from sending a support mail to receiving a reply and its a "get the job done" bit of software - no messing about.

If you are looking for a free one, try Express PCB, Its easy to use, Ideal for beginers

A lot of people use Eagle (including me). While it can be sometimes a bit tricky, it has a schematic editor, ERC, DRC and other features the simpler software is missing. The "Lite" version is free download for non-comercial use.

If you are rich you can get a professional software like for example Mentor Graphics PADS but for most hobbyists it is too expensive.

I use Sprint Layout 5.0

Very simple, very cheap and very effective.

I liked it so much that instead of trying to hack it, I just bought it. The support is pretty good - only ever had a few hours from sending a support mail to receiving a reply and its a "get the job done" bit of software - no messing about.

thanx for the suggetion..

I use Sprint Layout 5.0 too.I haven't see a better one than this.

I don't like to argue with other PCB softwares, many people have used work out with a particular software and doesn't like to shift to another one.

After researching all free ware, beta & professional versions on the net I came up with a superb software that is one & only Sprint Layout.

I use Eagle and am quite happy with it.

It is said that Sprint Layout is a very good program (some say
better then Eagle) but it lacks schematic caputure. With schematic capture you first enter the schematic. When you do layout the system makes sure that the board and schematic are in agreement. For me it is a must. Others are quite happy without it.

Once you start with a layout program the chances that you will switch are small.

Last edited:
I agree with 3VO, you want a seamless package. The only issue I see is cost.

I tend to use it for rapid prototyping. I use a lot of non standard parts so being able to knock up a part in seconds on the Sprint package means I can go from an idea in my head to a finished board in less than an hour with the kit that I have for PCB making.

I used to use Corel Draw for my PCB layouts with a seperate file with all the footprints but Sprint makes it even easier and quicker for me to design a PCB.

Rant about schematic capture.

I agree with 3VO, you want a seamless package. The only issue I see is cost.
Eagle is free. In a previous post Neil Wilson let us know that LabCenter has a free package too
Labcenter Electronics webpage said:
Proteus Lite is the shareware version of our Professional software and includes basic schematic capture, PCB layout with auto-routing and SPICE circuit simulation software.
This could be even better then Eagle because it has SPICE. That depends on what the limits are.

Schematic capture may save time.

• Unless you are making a very simple board you need a schematic, you may as well do it with the PCB layout tool.
  • The time you spend creating devices is offset by the time you do not spend verifying the board against the schematic.
  • The rubber band wires are created by the software from the schematic. More time saved.
  • The software ensures that the schematic and board are in agreement. Hint: The names of your parts/connectors will be in agreement - fewer documentation errors. :)
I have no doubt that Sprint Layout is an great tool as far as it goes.

People tend to stick with the first tool the use because it works and we are too lazy to learn another. It is better to use a tool that does the entire job.

Maybe I have been too vocal on this. It is not that I want everyone to use Eagle. Use what you like. But I do feel strongly that when you suggest any package without schematic capture you should at least let the person know what they are NOT getting.

I like to move along and am not great at documenting circuits. When I was doing point to point my schematic and circuits often did not agree. I have several such boards that are useless.

With the PCBs I place a name and rev number on each board. I can grab any board and find the exact schematic that describes it. There is another big plus to this. If I am away from a project when I come back the schematic is there and I go right back to work. Without the agreement between schematic and board (or no board at all) this becomes difficult. While it would be possible to do the same without the schematic capture it is not auto-magic and left up to me. Good luck on that.

Note: When I do point to pont mods to a board the schematic rev number is bumped. When the mods work the bumped board is etched. If there are more then a few wires added to a board it goes in the trash.

There I said it.

Hi 3V0 I see your point. I agree on that :)

There must be an agreement between schematic and board. This is very important for future updates on our projects. Refer to the project number & start updating stuff.

I have used eagle, it’s nice but sprint is more FASTER for me.

Here many are requesting designs urgently. They don't require any schematic they need the design or the PCB artwork. So no time to draw the schematic so directly drawing the PCB is the only solution that time.

There are many non standard components available, in this case the only solution is to measure the actual pin gaps & draw the component, the sprints MEASURE RULER is really handy in this case.The FREE ROTATING helps me to place them in any direction.

The COPPER FILL option makes me to etch the PCB within 1 or two minutes (taking the use of surrounding copper adjacent to the track). This also very usefull when designing PCBs for amplifiers with a bigger earth tracks.

Some are asking only the PCB file & many of them doesn't have laser printers at home they all going to some communication & takes some laser printouts. The shop keepers doesn’t have the software’s installed & they don’t like to install them. Sprint VIEW LAYOUT only 2mB & it doesn’t needs to be installed it can run in a USB pen drive & take print out in any layer that you select without varying any RESOLUTION in the file.

It all depends on the user if user satisfy then ............:)

How many different Grid spacings do you have Gayan ?

I tend to find that every time I make a new component up with non standard pin spacings I add another value to the grid spacing (lazy but quick). I think I've got over 40 different values now :p

Gayan,

If the board is so simple that you do not need a schematic then yes why bother.

Could it be that you do not know eagle well enough to be comfortable with it?

The COPPER FILL option is called a pour in eagle. You have a choice between solid and hatched pours/fills. The hatch works nice if your laser can not deliver enough toner to make solid fills.

When creating eagle components you can drag an object to rotate it. Is this what you call FREE ROTATING.

Eagle allows you to create a PDF file of the foil. All you need is the adobe reader which I would THINK (not sure) most places should have installed.

LabCenter ISIS Lite does not allow you to export a netlist to ARES their PCB layout program. It looks like Eagle is still the only free package that integrates schematic capture and layout.

Eagle Lite is limited to 2 copper layers ARES Lite allows 16. But ARES does not have schematic capture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back