Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB Layout Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlainB

Hi,

Up to now, I used FreePCB software as my layout software. I had to reformat my drive and lost everything concerning this software.

Before installing it again, I was wondering if there is a better choice available as freeware.

When I am doing PCB, they are simple, small and just one layer. I use the toner transfert method.

Many thanks!

Alain

eagle or KiCAD.

I have been getting my hands dirty with KiCAD and I am really liking this piece of software

AlainB said:
Hi,

Up to now, I used FreePCB software as my layout software. I had to reformat my drive and lost everything concerning this software.

Before installing it again, I was wondering if there is a better choice available as freeware.

When I am doing PCB, they are simple, small and just one layer. I use the toner transfert method.

Many thanks!

Alain

I like ExpressPCB, it is also free .

Gayan Soyza said:
Here is a list of PCB Design softwares try one by one & tell me what you like most is?

https://www.olimex.com/pcb/dtools.html

In the meanwhile what are you going to do? :)

The above link only list software that supports Gerber, I would think that is not important to a all of us hobbyists that are using toner transfer. In most cases we can get by with free easy to use software.

Gayan Soyza said:
Here is a list of PCB Design softwares try one by one & tell me what you like most is?

https://www.olimex.com/pcb/dtools.html

Wow. That is one seizure-inducing background on that page. And it calls Eagle 'easy-to-use'. I love Eagle except for its editing interface, which is anything *but* easy to use. In fact it seems to try to get in your way at every turn.

Torben

Hard drive failure............

AlainB said:
Hi,

Many thanks!

Alain

Sorry about your HD misfortune. When the operating system goes haywire I usually get another HD and newer format until I have either installed the failed HD as a slave drive or in a USB box. I have never failed to recover my data files and 99.99% of everything else. Maybe I have been lucky and newer had a totally dysfunctional HD.........
But I have found it best not to be in a hurry to format when HD's are so cheap. Of cause this is only relevant if you have not backed up anything for months.........

ExpressPCB's software is an excellent suite to use for simple single-sided toner transfer projects. Here are some boards I was able to design:

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

All designs were done in the ExpressSCH schematic capture program which provided the netlist for the ExpressPCB layout software which reduces errors. Using these two is much better than simply trying to do a PCB design from a paper schematic.

Quick how to:
i) Print to laser to get dimensions and paper position
ii) Cut toner transfer sheet to fit
iii) Stick sheet over previously printed image using tape (take care to flatten)
iv) Put page through laser printer again
v) Peel off toner transfer sheet, iron, etch etc.

Hint for cleaning copper PCB material: lemon juice works *very* quickly to remove oxides and finger prints.

P.

Rolf said:
The above link only list software that supports Gerber, I would think that is not important to a all of us hobbyists that are using toner transfer. In most cases we can get by with free easy to use software.

Can you name some of them please so the OP & others will know what they are.

Last edited:
Ok, so now I feel stupid :)

Here's the foil side of version 1.2:

**broken link removed**

I tried very hard to eliminate links on the top side of the board so the wires you see are errors in the schematic. I should probably clean up the flux too...

Version 1.4 is double-sided and a good deal neater :)

P.

To be able to feel the performance of a package, conditional to the skills of individuals (as they improve over few trials), the chance to view the solder side ias a common and easy way. So, 3v0 expressed it, but it is for any person to try show the pattern side after soldering, and it helps better appreciation of the package's abilities.

I have used PCB123 in the past but you have to purchase your boards from them. I have considered ExpressPCB. Which option is better? My work is for commercial applications, to that leaves some of the other 'free' options out because they want commercial users to pay.

DSGarcia said:
I have used PCB123 in the past but you have to purchase your boards from them. I have considered ExpressPCB. Which option is better? My work is for commercial applications, to that leaves some of the other 'free' options out because they want commercial users to pay.

I use ExpressPCB and have ordered PCB's from them several times as a private person, paying with a credit card. Delivery is three working days.
Tried PCB123 long time ago, cant remember why I settled on ExpressPCB.

Well this is KiCAD is action (ok just one of the provided demo projects)

Attachments

• 2008-03-28-145034_1280x1024_scrot.png
    2008-03-28-145034_1280x1024_scrot.png
    261 KB · Views: 199
Too bad someone doesn't create a shareware program that guys can use, Just for creating there own boards.

It seems to be all about money and making programs that are just to get you to use there company for ordering PCB's.

I have an older, registered program, (Obviously it Wasn't free, cost about $100.00)

Just Some of its Features:

It does 8 layers, plus: Silk screen top and Silk screen bottom. It allows for holes through just one layer or all layers. Also printing of each or any number of layers together.

It Imports and Exports Gerber.

It comes with numerous libraries and allows for creating your own, plus creating and adding new symbols.
these are Quite good.

It also has autorouting, Also Schematic "Net list" and "Rats list".
but I never use these, so not sure how good they are.

It also does Metric if wanted.

It allows for a zoom of 0.1 to well over 100 times.

And whats amazing to me is this program fits on a single
3 1/2 inch floppy.

It was origionally designed for Win3.1, but works good on win98 and Xp.

I'm not a programmer, but why can't someone create a shareware program like this?

I have seen many good, totally free shareware programs for many other applications.

Just a NICE THOUGHT!

Rolf said:
I use ExpressPCB and have ordered PCB's from them several times as a private person, paying with a credit card. Delivery is three working days.
Tried PCB123 long time ago, cant remember why I settled on ExpressPCB.
Perhaps within US the supply of few board like 5 nos as sample or bulk order later may not be felt costly by commercial, taking the quality and other aspects into consideration. The international postage really pinches at hobby level.
I make one or two boards with PCB123,for purely hobby and time pass, the layout and later PCB comes really fine with toner transfer method. Thanks to the designers.

I use Sprint Layout 5.0

Its very cheap, very basic and very fast.

I get more done with it than any of the other PCB Layout packages I've used.

Worth having a play with the demo.

Technical support is also absolutely fantastic - I've never had more than a couple of hours delay from emailling an issue to getting a reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back