Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB layout scale modification help (For printing).

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGAmodz

Hi all .

Im trying to adjust this PCB layout for the right scale , but i don't have the ability to make correct accuracy :

here is a PCB layout and real PCB picture :

Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 451
  • 24915548.gif
    24915548.gif
    20 KB · Views: 457
  • 93212734.gif
    93212734.gif
    18 KB · Views: 469
Can you print it 1:1 scale on your printer?

Hi. Give me the total measure between far edges and I can use Inkscape to scale it for you.
In return I give you a pdf file in A4 format.

Printing a raster graphic file with correct alignment can be a nightmare. Can your layout program export to a vector format, or even better - print directly from the program?

I don't particularly endorse these types of programmer, the results from them more often give poor results than positive outcomes, but if you must build this, at least use the latest version (5.2) from Feng's website. There you will also find a pdf file with the board layout which can be printed at 100% without scaling :)

I don't particularly endorse these types of programmer, the results from them more often give poor results than positive outcomes, but if you must build this, at least use the latest version (5.2) from Feng's website. There you will also find a pdf file with the board layout which can be printed at 100% without scaling :)
Hi tuned wolf .

I have found the modified version , thanks for this info .

I don't want to waste time or money to build USB programmer, and even if i want to order one it a headache .
This one is easy to do and don't require much components , that's why i have decided to make it .

What do you mean by poor results , do you mean bad program writing ?

I've heard that people who make the clones spend more time troubleshooting why the programmer does not work with this chip or that chip. Then they do actual programming.

You have to consider your time is of value also. Just buy the Microchip programmer and in the long run you will be better off. It will be compatible with more of their product line.

I've heard that people who make the clones spend more time troubleshooting why the programmer does not work with this chip or that chip. Then they do actual programming.

You have to consider your time is of value also. Just buy the Microchip programmer and in the long run you will be better off. It will be compatible with more of their product line.
I will take that into consideration .

BTW thanks for the inputs.

I only got this : DB9's upper 5 pins , from pin 1 to pin 5 lenght is : 1.1 centimeter .

Can this be useful ?
Sadly, no.

Distance is too short to be able to resize it with proper accuracy. You may find any datasheet regarding the chip (the one with largest number of pins) that tell you about the internal length between pins.

I couldn't find any "DB9" in your images.

Last edited:
From pin 1 to pin 20 is 315 pixels. DIP package pin pitch is 0.1 inches. From pin 1 to 20 that makes 1.9 inches. Calculating from there the resolution of the image is 166 dpi (quite common resolution).
.. so the image size is:
741 x 457 pixels == 4.46 x 2.75 inches.
From corner to corner 5.245 inches

I can't verify that the dimension in this PDF are correct (no printer at the moment).. I hope they are. Make sure that you print it with "no-scaling" or "100% scaling".. whatever setting you have available.

Attachments

• Capture.pdf
    55.4 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:
Hi tuned wolf .

I have found the modified version , thanks for this info .

I don't want to waste time or money to build USB programmer, and even if i want to order one it a headache .
This one is easy to do and don't require much components , that's why i have decided to make it .

What do you mean by poor results , do you mean bad program writing ?

Inquisitive pretty much nailed it. More often than not you get patchy programming results with these types of programmer. Sometimes it's the computer port not giving in tolerance voltages, sometimes it's a timing issue with the programming software, sometimes it's a windows device driver issue etc. The trouble is, it's near impossible sometimes to explain why one particular device programs and verifies perfectly, why another identical part will not. To me at least, it's simply not worth the effort of building and testing it, only to find it fails to perform on the next target device I try to program with it.

Sure Electronics have a really nice clone of the PK2 & 3, neither is expensive, plus MChip themselves have decent pricing to begin with for these. I know that I would rather spend my time in better ways than scratching my head wondering if my part has programmed properly :)

Hi everyone , again , i have successfully made the PCB board using the second PCB revision of the programmer thanks to tunedwolf .

MisterT i didn't try your work , but am sure you were close if not 100% accurate , i appreciate your help .
I hope the programmer will work and finally get into the real world of PIC programming .

Here is picture of the card :

QvhTx05.jpg

Last edited:
That is not the same PCB you posted originally, but glad you found a copy that you could print correctly.
Edit: oh, you did mention that it is a second revision of the board.

Last edited:
MisterT i didn't try your work , but am sure you were close if not 100% accurate , i appreciate your help .
Hopefully it helps many others, the topic of this thread is good (common problem).

I hope the programmer will work and finally get into the real world of PIC programming.
Play with it.. then buy PICkit and get to the real world (still a hobby world).

I anyone need help on how to make a PCB i can help out for sure.
Apparently not about how to print images in correct size.. haha (sorry :) )

I will try to explain my procedure in a few lines .

So for the procedure i used the traditional method of toner transfer into the copper,by the way i printed the layout on a magazine paper , it gives a nice transfer once heated , for that i used the clothes iron set on medium , and applied little pressure all around the paper surface until i see that the layout traces have stick on the copper .

Now all you need is let the copper cool down and then put in a bowl of water with some liquid soap in it , let it there for 15 minutes , then peel it off with precaution until only the black traces are on the copper .

Now put it on a small iron III chloride reservoir , and shake it until all the copper surrounding the black traces is gone .

Only bad thing about this is using copper , i hope that i could use another metal instead but this would require using different chemicals for etching , copper traces can easily break when your soldering components on it due to the copper layer thinness .

Last edited:
Excellent, so the board production was successful, have you built it yet? Does the programmer work as expected? What software are you using with it? Have you tested a range of devices with it? If so what were your results? What are you using to drive the programmer, a desktop computer? A laptop? Are you using an RS232 to USB adapter cable with it? If so which one? Photo's? etc :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back