Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pcb layout program?

Status
Not open for further replies.

timtalk

I'm new to electronics and was wondering if there is a program out there that will allow you to draw a schmatic of a project and then tell it to auto place or something like that onto a pcb board and have it auto create the traces for you?

I know of one software suite that'll do that : https://www.new-wave-concepts.com/

You use Livewire to create the schematics (which can be run as a simulation!) and when it detects PCB Wizard installed, you get a menu option to automatically create a PCB, whose construction by default will be animated. If the schematic gets too complicated, the software will try its best and highlight the traces that need to be routed manually. Pretty nice.

If you are a complete beginner, also check out their Control Studio software. You use simple building blocks to create functional systems that can later be converted into real world schematics and PCBs.

The software is very hobbyist friendly and intuitive (nothing like Eagle if you've heard of it) and is in my opinion a very good way to get started in electronics.

i think Eagle software will layout the traces for standard parts, but i've not used it for that purpose ..

Thank you much! I appreciate the pointers on the software. Guess I'll have to get out the old CC and purchase these 2 pieces of software. Then all I have to do is to figure out a method to make my own boards that I can actually do. (don't have any equipment for it yet).

timtalk said:
Thank you much! I appreciate the pointers on the software. Guess I'll have to get out the old CC and purchase these 2 pieces of software. Then all I have to do is to figure out a method to make my own boards that I can actually do. (don't have any equipment for it yet).

If your boards are in the least bit complex you will find it pays to use the quick 'prototype facility' that most of the commercial PCB manufacturers offer. Its not really expensive and most do mail orders as well. You send in your board data file and they take it from there.

You'll get a quality board without having to mess about with etching chemicals and then wonder how to dispose them safely.

The only boards I do myself these days are the stripboard variety which are great for one off circuits that do not have too many IC's in them. Once you go into double sided PCB complexity, plated thru holes, etc. it is really beyond the home brewers modest facilities.

Klaus

Klaus,
Where in Oz would I find such a manufacturer? And roughly what would they charge?

Len

PC Board layout programs!

I found this one doing a search, there seems to be several. I believe Far Circuits or something like that use to do small quantity board designs.

**broken link removed**

Thanks,
Matt

Autoplacing is where the program places the parts automatically, according to schematic.
Autorouting is where it draws all the traces automatically.

Autorouting is very useful, Eagle does it. Autoplacing, generally not so much. Eagle does not do it, though Protel does. The designer often has a better idea of where things should go though. Autoplacing usually results in undesirable layouts, they may be confusing to inspect and important traces (high power, noise-sensitive signal) may end up getting run a long way between components. For example, say you have 4 buttons with identical pullup resistors, you'd generally want them to be in a nice parallel row but it's unlikely Autoplace will do this. They'd get scattered in different orientations and locations.

Eagle has a free version which will let you get your feet wet at low cost. I found their email help very good. To make your own PC boards, I recommend "press-n-peel" from Techniks Inc. You print the design on it with a laser printer (or take it to a copy shop), make a sandwich of glass-paper tissue-pcboard-pressnpeel-paper tissue-glass, hold it together with a spring clamp and put it in the oven at 400 to 410 degrees F. Use a Sharpie pen if you need to do any touch up.

I have Eagle software. It's good for my work (one or 2 layers).
I downloaded the Pad2Pad PCB design. It's free and you can send online your PCB projects to make them and receive by mail.

ljcox said:
Klaus,
Where in Oz would I find such a manufacturer? And roughly what would they charge?

Len

Len,

I have in the past used PCB Express who are an American company. I just ordered over the internet, payed by credit card and they arrived about a week later. They did have a prototyping deal where they made 3 double sided, silk screen, solder resist etc for US$51.

Just recently I've noticed **broken link removed** whose adverts are displayed at the top of this page. They seem very cheap. You can get an online quote instantly.

Mike.

Hiya Guy's,
Eh I found this mob over here in Oz that does a pcb manufacturing service. I got the link out of the siliconchip mag and I haven't used them yet but looking at the website it doesn't look too bad check it out and let me know your thoughts guy's. Here's the link https://www.sesame.com.au/

Cheers Bryan :D

Bryan,

Check out the link to the Chinese company. For 5 off 100mm*40mm double sided are only US$5.50 each = AU$7.70 each. They have a tooling charge of $34 (AU48). Thats a total price of AU$87 for 5 boards.

If you want 100 boards then the total price is US133.80 :shock:

And, they accept Eagle files.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back