Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pcb layout error : ground plan under magnetic jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

schneiderj

Hello,

I have just received my rev2 of my board...
This board is based on a pic32 and a DP83848 and I immediately see that I omit to remove ground plan under magnetic jack ! Did that means that this board is just good for destruction ?

Any help will be greatly appreciated !
Jean-Marie

I'd try isolating the unwanted section of ground plane by using a Dremel with a burr or small disc cutter/grinder to remove thin lines of copper.

What kind of magnetick jack? Do you mean ethernet with magnetics inside? Does the manufacturer specifically say that there must be no plane under the connector?

Hello,

thanks you for yours answers

I'd try isolating the unwanted section of ground plane by using a Dremel with a burr or small disc cutter/grinder to remove thin lines of copper.

That the first think I want to do... but tedious work as there is several pins connected to ground. But fortunately layer 2 and 15 where not modified. So that option is envisageable for one pcb.

What kind of magnetick jack? Do you mean ethernet with magnetics inside? Does the manufacturer specifically say that there must be no plane under the connector?
It is from Stewart Connector. They did not mention that requirement in there data sheet (https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2013/05/79319.pdf), but that probably estimated as an obligation. Is this last assumption correct ?

Jean-Marie

They only say that this should be done to reduce noise, not that the ethernet will not work with a groundplane underneath it. So unless this is some critical product, I would not fear using it as is, and only if there are significant problems spin another revision of the board.

Thanks for these new comments !

They only say that this should be done to reduce noise, not that the ethernet will not work with a groundplane underneath it. So unless this is some critical product, I would not fear using it as is, and only if there are significant problems spin another revision of the board.

I will try it : it will cost less to assemble the board than to order a new revision !

Jean-Marie

A piece of copper in the magnetic field will both dampen and cause reflections in the magnetic field Is the foil exposed where you can get to it?
If so then try to peel it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back