Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pcb holder recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrd

Hi,

I'm looking to get a PCB holder for soldering work and wonder has anyone used anything that they can recommend.

Not keen on the crocodile clips ones.
What I'm after really is the most efficient way of stuffing/soldering a PCB.

What would the pros use before machines got involved?

Am I right in thinking the best way would be to have a holder that you can stuff a lot of components into.. hold components with sponge or something. Then flip it over. Solder and clip legs of all of them?

Is something like this any good would you say?
**broken link removed**

It's a PCB holder with a sponge that clamps on components so you can flip & solder

Hi mrd,

In my case 75% of component soldering is surface mount so there is no flipping and the top of my work table has been just fine.
Then again one never miss what he never had!

Mike

Hi mrd,

In my case 75% of component soldering is surface mount so there is no flipping and the top of my work table has been just fine.
Then again one never miss what he never had!

Mike

Ah, haven't took the plunge into surface mount yet so all is through hole.
Just really wondering how to cut down soldering/stuffing time. Thinking a holder would be a major help

Look at **broken link removed**

The PCB holders they sell are too big for most stuff but they have slotted arms for some of the holders that work well.

Hi, yeah, I've been looking at them. With those, what do people use once they've stuffed 40 resistors or so before flipping to solder? Better solution than masking tape? I like the sponge solution that the RS one have.

I just use a small vice to hold the circuitboard when I work on it.

I have and use a Panavise and like it. It works fine and is well built so it is solid.

Ron

Hi mrd,

you can make your own soldering frame cheap using a few aluminum profiles (one slideable to adapt to different board sizes) with notches to take up the PCB.

To cover the PCB and hold pieces (of any height) in place use a strong aluminum sheet as lid and glue foam of at least 1 inch thickness to it.

When closed, flip the frame over and start soldering.

It's a fast and reliable method.

Boncuk

Ah.. a diy solution. Love it! You must know me!

Definately could be up for that. Have you built one? Any pics or tips?

I use this for big PCBs: **broken link removed**
and this for small PCBs: **broken link removed**

Ken

Here is another kind.

Attachments

• Holder2.jpg
    Holder2.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 1,382
When I first started off, I used to get my baby sister to hold the pcb for me *evil grin*

Ah.. a diy solution. Love it! You must know me!

Definately could be up for that. Have you built one? Any pics or tips?

The frame I had was made by Isert Elektronic (now Isel automation). I sent an inquiry if they have the frame still on sale. It looked similar to that in post 11, but with the lid and foam on the component side to have it flip over to hold components in place while soldering.

That example shown is hard to modify because of the high produding srews on top. They must be low enough not to interfere with the holding action of the foam.

Other than the one posted this frame was tilted towards the "worker" when soldering and straight and level when looking on the components.

The tilt angle was achieved by the handle mounted onto the lid.

It was definitely much lower than US$175 which I think smells like rip off. :(

Additionally that one is much too bulky - almost as strong as an oil rig.

The profiles were not more than 10mm and sliding M3-nuts in slots.

Boncuk

No, for assembly of one-offs too.

Ken

The PCB-holder I mentioned is still available.

I'm expecting a quote soon and will forward details of seller and price.

Boncuk

Attachments

• DB_142043.pdf
    324.2 KB · Views: 384
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back