Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB drilling; WARNING!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolf

Just got around checking the noise level of my Chinese Dremel knock off.
I thought it was loud (max speed) but over 90db that literally blew my mind! This is with the db meter at the distance my ears would normally be when I am using the drill.
And at the speed I normally run it, it was not much better, just a few db.
After just running it long enough to take a few sound measurements my ears now are ringing!
From now on I am going to use my ear muffs. And of cause my safety glasses.

Edit: justDIY suggestion in his picture to use a dust mask is something that I forgot and am going to add to my list.

Last edited:
oh yea that sucker is loud

this is my standard gear for operating the pcb drill:

**broken link removed**

my designs are all rather small, so I usually make a 4.5x6.5 in. panel of multiple designs and repeats ... which means a lot of drill time!

My drill press rattles a little but otherwise it is nice and quiet. It has a low RPM so it actually drills holes. A Dremel drill has such a high RPM that it burns the holes.

i allways use ear protection too.. (actually i got a perfect device from a summer training in a petroleum rig... check the picture! they are arcound my neck) they totally cut-off all the noize... we used to wear them near noizy machines...

Attachments

• petr.JPG
    petr.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 311
audioguru said:
My drill press rattles a little but otherwise it is nice and quiet. It has a low RPM so it actually drills holes. A Dremel drill has such a high RPM that it burns the holes.

Where are you getting this from? carbide PCB drill bits are meant to be run at extremely high speeds. The important factor for a drill bit is the speed at which the cutting edges are moving, so it depends on both the bit circumference as well as rotational speed. Tinier bits means higher speed is needed. Commercial PCB drills often use air turbines and can spin in excess of 100,000 RPM. Not only are rotary tools not too FAST for pcb drilling, they're actually quite a bit too SLOW, but they do a good enough job for hobby use.

When I drill with carbide bits at low speed, I can feel the resistance as I drill through, and I need to make sure not to bear down too hard so I don't break the bit, and it quite often leaves ragged holes. At higher speed it goes through like butter with very little resistance, and it does nothing resembling "burning" through the board; and, it leaves cleaner holes. Since the bit goes through so easily, it doesn't have the chance to "walk" when it first touches the surface before it has started significantly drilling, which means less damage to the pads and less flexing of the brittle bits. maybe if I was running a much larger (1/8" or so) drill bit at 25000 RPM's it might cause problems... and maybe junky high-speed steel bits don't handle the speed as well as carbide bits...

audioguru said:
Generally faster is prefered. I don't know why. I have a feeling it'd because it doesn't blunt the drill bit as quickly.

audioguru said:

then you are probably using a dull bit or your dremel has excessive runout. My sherline drills really clean holes at 30K with nice sharp carbide bits. My delta at 3K wasn't nearly as nice. Those carbide bits are meant for very high speed. If you are using high speed steel bits, then they are dull after the first hole.

by the way, my sherline is a bit quieter than my dremel but neither are painfully loud, even over extended periods (20-30 minutes).

It is VERY easy because of a Dremel's high speed to dull a drill bit, even a little bit of overpressure at those speeds can cause an incredible amount of heat to be generated. Carbide bits are really required as they're the only substance that stands up to the abuse. Common steel bits, even hardened ones will re-anneal at the temperatures pressing too hard creates at 30,000 RPM.

even at low speeds, HSS quickly gets dull when drilling FR4. It's useless for drilling PCBs.

justDIY said:
oh yea that sucker is loud

this is my standard gear for operating the pcb drill:

**broken link removed**

my designs are all rather small, so I usually make a 4.5x6.5 in. panel of multiple designs and repeats ... which means a lot of drill time!

Note to self. I need a sheet of plywood.. Not sure why yet.. :p But I live is Florida and have plenty. :D

JustDIY does make a good point as I joke. I do not wear a mask.. The glass can not be good for you. I wear glasses ONLY because I need them to see the holes. And no ear protection but I use an old slow battery dremel.

I use the model 210 press and an old battery powered smaller dremel. It works well with either type bits. Using steel now and shocked at how well they work. I just received new bits, but I will stay with the steel one until it does not perform.

I have not put the AC dremels on the press, might scare me. But they do turn fast and shake a bit.. :) They are variable so you can slow them down and drill.

i've got an old 210 press, the only thing wrong with it is slop (yaw?) in the up/down action ... the bit shifts maybe a tenth of a millimeter as it comes down, good thing is, it's consistent, so holding the boards just off works well

I use reading glasses because they are like magifying glasses.
I can up really close to where I'm drilling, and be focused.
I bought 150, 200 and 300 strength ones, from the $2 shop.
I found the 300's useless.
The 200's are good, but when you have to get up and walk around, every thing is blurry.
The 150's are probably the best- allround.

P.S.
I have normal eye vision.

evandude is right with what he's said. My benchtop drill press is set to the highest speed for PCB drilling. I even assured the quill is true with no runout by having a CNC lathe check it. This lessens the chances of tiny drill bits breaking from excessive chuck wobble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back