Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB design

Status
Not open for further replies.

karenhornby

Anyone fancy helping?
I've got the circuit (attached with this) that I want to etch onto a PCB, preferably single sided pcb but I've not the first idea how to go about this, I've tried using things like autocad (too complex and complicated) and ExpressPCB but I couldnt figure it out.

If anyone has "10" mins spare and fancies transferring my circuit design onto a pcb layout i'd be eternally grateful :D

Attachments

• Circuit2.gif
    Circuit2.gif
    63.8 KB · Views: 658
3v0,
If you had 10" minimum to spare I am sure that Karen would be eternally grateful.:D

I'll get me coat.:rolleyes:

Mike.

Last edited:
I will play with it but will take longer than 10 miniutes
try couple hours as I need to decipher the schematic
where did schematic come from?

MrDEB said:
I will play with it but will take longer than 10 miniutes
try couple hours as I need to decipher the schematic
where did schematic come from?

when Karenhornby could ( i hope that this is his design) design such a circuit, he could well do the PCB also.

If not his design, the original designer would have given the artwork also and perhaps he could use that as well. I don't see a point in pushing it on the society

mvs sarma said:
when Karenhornby could ( i hope that this is his design) design such a circuit, he could well do the PCB also.

If not his design, the original designer would have given the artwork also and perhaps he could use that as well. I don't see a point in pushing it on the society

Hi mvs,

I think she's just asking for a helping hand, not really pushing this on society. Someone might feel like taking a run at the layout, maybe just for practice or to give someone a hand.

Karen, do you need this regardless of what happens with the display output (i.e. moving to the PIC?). If not, I think a lot of this might get folded up into the microcontroller code--maybe wait until that design is done before laying out a board for it.

Once the final design has been reached, I'd like to take a shot at laying it out, just for practice. :)

Torben

Torben said:
Hi mvs,

I think she's just asking for a helping hand, not really pushing this on society. Someone might feel like taking a run at the layout, maybe just for practice or to give someone a hand.

Karen, do you need this regardless of what happens with the display output (i.e. moving to the PIC?). If not, I think a lot of this might get folded up into the microcontroller code--maybe wait until that design is done before laying out a board for it.

Once the final design has been reached, I'd like to take a shot at laying it out, just for practice. :)
Torben

the way he was posting makes me feel whether he has designed and sure that this is final version -- ?
If it is process he should come forward with so many other details like bill of materials in specific the relays. If we assume something and make he would not get material

This made me feel that it is only a learner request. the sheet doesn't speak of all things in detail. if data is full I would have tried it.

mvs sarma said:
the way he was posting makes me feel whether he has designed and sure that this is final version -- ?
If it is process he should come forward with so many other details like bill of materials in specific the relays. If we assume something and make he would not get material

This made me feel that it is only a learner request. the sheet doesn't speak of all things in detail. if data is full I would have tried it.

I agree, but I think this thread is related to another thread by the OP about a vehicle she's working on which can switch between diesel and vegetable oil fuel. In that thread she appeared to be thinking about changing the design to a microcontroller from the discrete/op-amp design which started this thread. That's why I suggested to her that unless she needs this design anyway, it might be a good idea to wait for the final uC design before laying it out.

Torben

[Edit: And I would much rather lay out the new design than try to lay out the one given in this thread, given the required assumptions you mentioned.]

Last edited:
I looked over the schematic and there are several questions that need to be addressed.
the lm431 is avaible in several different packages.
Is this the posters design as several componets are labeled differently than what have seen before-RV1 ? figure its a pot?
I enjoy pcb design but dechipering can sometimes get daunting.
I agree that if this circuit can be done with a pic then go for it.

LOL sorry for making a simple thing seem overly complex.

Its partly my design, but as I've said in the other thread relating to a PIC chip, I got the basic ideas for the circuit from here http://www.escol.com.my/Projects/Project-03(Thermostat-1)/Proj-03.html

I then modified the circuit so it has TWO temperature modules (LM35DZ's) feeding into an quad LM324 op-amp instead of the original LM358 (hopefully I got that bit right and it will work when I modified the circuit) THEN I added a 555 timer to it and some relay outputs.

WHAT the circuit is designed to do (if it works) is fit in my car.
The car will have 2 fuel tanks with 4 feed lines,ie 2 inputs and 2 outputs
Tank 1 (diesel) has the INPUT (diesel) going to the injection pump (via a solenoid switch) and the OUTPUT from the fuel injection pump via solenoid 2 into the TANK 1

Tank 2 (vegetable oil) has the fuel (veg oil) going to the injection pump (via a solenoid switch) and the OUTPUT from the fuel injection pump via solenoid 2 into the TANK 2

WHEN the ignition is ON AND temp 1 has reached its preset temperature (set by RV2 and yes this IS a preset) AND temp 2 has reached its preset temperature (set by RV3) then BOTH relays will activate switching the car to veg-oil and feeding the return from the fuel injection pump to the veg-oil tank.

IF the ignition goes off WITHOUT S1 (timer relay/circuitry) having been pressed but the car is running on veg-oil then a warning siren/buzzer will sound for the period set by the timer circuit and RV1 (another preset, this set for 50KΩ should give a time period of appx 69 seconds) after which the relay deactivates

IF S1 is pressed while the ignition is on, then relay 1 goes inactive, switching the fuel IN to Diesel, BUT keeping the fuel return on Veg-oil for the preset time set by the timer circuit after which BOTH relays de-activate

Relays are DPDT relays, type and size unimportant as they are only going to run a couple of hundred mA through them when switched.

Hopefully I've answered most questions there and compared with the circuit diagram attached to THIS you should be able to get the idea of what I'm trying to do now

The circuit I've enclosed with this is more recent and has the pinouts of the various components, or if not then the package details

Oh while I think of it, I have Croc CLIP (actually crocodile technology 606) thats how I got the design for the 555 timer working and know that bit works, but I gave up trying how to figure out how to get the temp circuits into croc clips as it dont have the components I'm using in it.

As to whether I use this design, or the more "complex?" design using a PIC?

I'm going to be using THIS design first just to prove the whole concept works good enough, and then (providing I can learn enough about PIC programming once I get a programmer and a development kit) THEN I'll make a 2nd version that has an LCD display instead of using the 3 LED's that this one uses, and hopefully far less components.
If anyone wants to have a look at what Ideas I've come up with in my head SO FAR take a look here https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/lcd-display.36546/
(5th Message)

any ideas or suggestions for improvements/changes/mods/extra features always welcome

AND finally MVS SARMA yes I AM a beginner but im TRYING to learn and no this will NOT be commercial or for sale, its ONLY going to be used in MY car once I've got it working right

Attachments

• Circuit2.gif
    Circuit2.gif
    63.8 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
karenhornby said:
LOL sorry for making a simple thing seem overly complex.
If anyone wants to have a look at what Ideas I've come up with in my head SO FAR take a look here https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/lcd-display.36546/
(5th Message)

any ideas or suggestions for improvements/changes/mods/extra features always welcome

AND finally MVS SARMA yes I AM a beginner but im TRYING to learn and no this will NOT be commercial or for sale, its ONLY going to be used in MY car once I've got it working right

Thanks. Let me try a lay out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back