Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB damaged by electro-cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gubavac111

I removed a keyboard that is used to communicate with radar assembly because the operators complained that some burn smelled (indeed it did). Opened it up and found a couple of places on PCB with white stains. Cleaned it with electro-cleaner, put it back and now one part of the keyboard is not working.

Did you ever have your PCB damaged by electro-cleaner? Like, is that even possible? When you use electro-cleaner, do you need to wait for it to dry before installing the PCB again?

My other ideas are that I touched a PCB with my hand and damaged it by discharge or that, while removing it, I damaged the cable connecting keyboard and PC (this one is hard to tell cause everything is so cramped up and inaccessible).

There are several types of "cleaner", some of which leave an oily residue, which may cause problems or attract dust in some situations..
The best for general use is just plain isopropyl alcohol (IPA), which does not leave any residue and is harmless to most components.

It's also possible that the cleaner washed some dust or dirt to a different part of the unit, where it is now interfering with the keyboard contacts.

Or it's just a grotty connector, not making full contact..

There are several types of "cleaner", some of which leave an oily residue, which may cause problems or attract dust in some situations..
The best for general use is just plain isopropyl alcohol (IPA), which does not leave any residue and is harmless to most components.

It's also possible that the cleaner washed some dust or dirt to a different part of the unit, where it is now interfering with the keyboard contacts.

Or it's just a grotty connector, not making full contact..

Yeah, this one left oily residue, maybe I can try with IPA. Thanks, man!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back