Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB Cutting

Status
Not open for further replies.

craig1978

Hi all,

I am new to the site so please be gentle :eek:

I was wondering if anybody has a good method of cutting Copper Clad Boards?

I know you can buy shears specifically for the job, but they tend to be a little expensive and I was wondering if anyone had a cheaper method of doing it with resonable results.

Thanks in advance
Craig

Hi all,

I am new to the site so please be gentle :eek:

I was wondering if anybody has a good method of cutting Copper Clad Boards?

I know you can buy shears specifically for the job, but they tend to be a little expensive and I was wondering if anyone had a cheaper method of doing it with resonable results.

Thanks in advance
Craig

A 10inch, hacksaw, with a 24tooth/inch will cut pcbs' OK.
A quick rub with a fine file to remove any sawmarks to finish.:)

Make yourself a wooden sawing block [ to hold the pcb steady] out of 3 bits of wood.

Last edited:
Thanks Eric

How much does it affect the blade?

hi,
Using the full length of the blade while cutting, it will last ages.

If you dont have a fine file, use a little fine emery/sand paper for smoothing the cut.

Do you know what I mean by the wooden cutting block.?:):)

Last edited:
Yes, I think :eek: like a plastic mitre block?

A rough outline drawing.

Place it at the right hand edge of your bench/table, so you are sawing into 'fresh air.'

BTW: you can use this same block when drilling out the pcb holes.

Attachments

• Image1.png
    Image1.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Ahh I see, blimey that takes me back abit lol.

That's what we used when I was at school, we used to call it a bench block lol should of realised what you meant :eek:

Thanks for your advice Eric

I use a prefabricated bourd that has copper lines with holes drilled every 0.1inch. I use a chuck (from a trashed cordless drill) with a 1/4inch drill bit and twist cut the copper from the appropriate holes.

I use a prefabricated bourd that has copper lines with holes drilled every 0.1inch. I use a chuck (from a trashed cordless drill) with a 1/4inch drill bit and twist cut the copper from the appropriate holes.

A better way for strip board, is a steel 12inch rule and a Stanley/Utility knife.

Score the 'cut' line on BOTH sides of the board, using the rule as a guide, with the knife... place on flat surface/edge and snap... clean with emery paper.

Last edited:
No disrespect to simplisity, but UV light, some chemicles, a PCB program, and Bob's your uncle.

When I started using Toner-Transfer for making PCBs, and found that a clothes iron wasn't much fun. I switch to a laminator, and paper-thin PCB, which cuts very easy in a paper cutter, also much easier to drill through. Most of my stuff is low voltage, and seldom include large, heavy parts, nor intended to be moved around much once installed.

If you have one around, a good way to cut your pcbs is an electric tile saw.

When cutting the pcb with any saw, wear a mask as the dust is not healthy.

No disrespect to simplisity, but UV light, some chemicles, a PCB program, and Bob's your uncle.

Those would be some heavy duty chemicals that would be able to cut large boards into smaller boards.

The question is about cutting boards, not etching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back