Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB Copper fill - ground plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

FusionITR

In my PCB design I have a ground plane on the bottom layer and no copper fill (just routing) on the top layer. Is there any benefit of having a copper fill on the top layer also as a ground plane?

It's more environmentally friendly as less chemicals are used since less copper is etched away. It also helps prevent warping since copper distribution is more balanced across the board with copper fill (as opposed to areas with lots of copper and areas with very little). If the copper fill on top board is connected to +V or GND, it can also work for more noise immunity by working to form capacitances with the other ground and power planes.

JUst don't leave any areas of copper fill floating...make sure it's connected to a signal (preferably a low impedance one), or +V or ground.

Last edited:
Yes
Could use the second ground to help RF radiation.
The second ground may help reduce the impedance of ground.
Because copper is removed not added to a board, it will reduce waist.
I have used a second ground layer as a shield, it will not have current in it because it was connected in only one place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back