Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pc to pic16f870 serial communication

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikos23

i want to connect my pc to pic16f870 using the serial com
how can i do this;;
how can i read or write to my pc serial com;;
is C,Vbasic or Qbasic the way;;
is there something easier

nikos23 said:
i want to connect my pc to pic16f870 using the serial com
how can i do this;;
how can i read or write to my pc serial com;;
is C,Vbasic or Qbasic the way;;
is there something easier

It depends what you want to do with it?, for simple text you can use HyperTerminal.

I need a PC programme that can take serial data from a PIC and display it on the PC as a graph. eg. voltage versus time.

I can write PIC programmes, but not ones for the PC.

Does anyone know of such a programme?

Heres a PC program that displays bytes received as a line on the right edge and then scrolls it left - I.E. opposite to a scope. It's very rough but it works.

Bugger, I can't attach an exe file. I can mail it to you if you like. It's only 15k.

Mike.

ljcox said:
I need a PC programme that can take serial data from a PIC and display it on the PC as a graph. eg. voltage versus time.

I can write PIC programmes, but not ones for the PC.

Does anyone know of such a programme?

If you have EXCEL, you can make a CSV file and inport it and do graphs.

You can get to the serial port pretty easily from VB6, but you have to enable the "Mscomm6" plugin somewhere in the menus (Google will show you the way). Either way, it adds an object that looks like a little phone which you drag onto your form like anything else. Then, in code, there's an event that goes off whenever a packet arrives (it works the same as a click event).

You'll probably have to hard-code the packet structure into the PIC. This is really easy, though, as all you need is one stop bit (I've done it with 9 flip flops and an op amp). Of course, the port has lots more features that you can take advantage of as well. Again, doing a google search for "EIA232" will provide all the specifics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back