Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PC Serial Port to Parallel Port Converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

pacobenito

Issue: I need to flash a controller board which use a parallel port interface. My Laptop doesn't have parallel port just serial port.
Question: Is there any serial to parallel port interface that can buy or build? Any other suggestion.

Thank you for your answers

paco:confused:

You can buy or build them (simple to build with a PIC or similar) - however, there's no guarantee it would work for your purpose, it depends in what way the controller board uses the port.

I don't think a serial to parallel converter will work as the software will still be trying to access a parallel port. A USB to parallel converter may work as these appear as a parallel port to the software. Alternatively, go to a computer fair and pick us a parallel card.

Edit, the OP may have been asking about USB but it wasn't clear.

Mike.

Last edited:
Issue: I need to flash a controller board which use a parallel port interface. My Laptop doesn't have parallel port just serial port.
Question: Is there any serial to parallel port interface that can buy or build? Any other suggestion.

Thank you for your answers

paco:confused:

Generally controller boards provide on board ICSP(case of PIC) and ISP in case of ATMEL seires.
perhaps Ponyprog from Lancos might work with little effort and soldering.

Thanks for your answers, I will search for a USB to parallel converter and/or the ponyprog. Thanks:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back