Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pc sends value to a 4 digit led display

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandwichx

I was hoping I could find a similar project to copy but can't find one.

I would like to use a pc to send a four digit value to a seven segment 4 digit display. The pic would have a static ip address and be connected to the computer via an ethernet port.

If you could point me to a similar project or give me some advice that would be great. Thanks!

:rolleyes:

Why do you want to use Ethernet instead of the serial or parallel ports?

Torben

This bites an idea that costs well over $100 :(

Yet i just bought a four port ethernet switch from the store and it only cost $16. or can get a scanner/color printer/fax on sale for $89!! Maybe its easier to find something that already exists and hack it up. :confused:

i'll keep thinking i guess

sandwichx said:

Yet i just bought a four port ethernet switch from the store and it only cost $16. or can get a scanner/color printer/fax on sale for $89!! Maybe its easier to find something that already exists and hack it up. :confused:

There are ways to do it and I don't think you'd need to spend over $100. But you still haven't answered the question of why you want to use Ethernet? It seems like overkill.

Consumer electronics are very cheap because the makers buy parts by the thousands and get big discounts. Printers are cheap because they're not devices for putting ink on paper as much as they are devices for selling ink to you.

Torben

sandwichx said:

An Ethernet hub when they first came out cost hundreds of dollars even for a small one. The reason you can now buy them for $16 is they make millions of em. As for printers it's all to sell ink.

Still what's your plan, maybe we can suggest a different solution. Pretty smart bunch around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back