Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PC PSU powering many devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LHC1

My first post/questions.

I'm hoping to reduce RF noise in the house by replacing some very noisy switch mode power supplies which power a Soekris net4801 server and a USB HDD caddy. I'd also like to power an adsl modem (15V) and an ethernet switch (7.5V) from the same supply, but as that would require some extra effort, and their 'wall warts' aren't too noisy, I may leave that until later.

I've found an old AT form factor power supply, which powers up with a small load on the 5V output. The RF noise is much lower from this.

Is it ok to just connect them across the suitable outputs? Should I 'decouple' the feed to each device? Should I put a fuse in line to each device?. What about a 'crowbar' circuit?

Lastly; should I devise some means to wait for the 'power good' signal from the PSU? (could the power before the signal damage the devices connected?)

Thanks for a great forum.

John.

LHC1 said:
My first post/questions.

I'm hoping to reduce RF noise in the house by replacing some very noisy switch mode power supplies which power a Soekris net4801 server and a USB HDD caddy. I'd also like to power an adsl modem (15V) and an ethernet switch (7.5V) from the same supply, but as that would require some extra effort, and their 'wall warts' aren't too noisy, I may leave that until later.

I've found an old AT form factor power supply, which powers up with a small load on the 5V output. The RF noise is much lower from this.

Is it ok to just connect them across the suitable outputs? Should I 'decouple' the feed to each device? Should I put a fuse in line to each device?. What about a 'crowbar' circuit?

Lastly; should I devise some means to wait for the 'power good' signal from the PSU? (could the power before the signal damage the devices connected?)

Thanks for a great forum.

John.

The old AT form factor power supply is a switching supply... :confused:

Once you get by that dilemma, then you can answer your other questions. If you want to go with a linear supply, it will be heavy and not as efficient.

The old AT supply has output protection and regulation. To fuse is really up to you. How critical are the devices being powered.

All in all, I'm confused as to what the real problem here is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back