Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PC Power Supply Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

brentonw2004

Hello everyone! Today I started a project of trying to convert a PC power supply to desktop power supply. The power supply was 250W and in good working condition. First I connected the green PC-ON wire to the ground. I then tested the voltages and they were all within range. Next I proceeded to remove the cover and "attempt" to make things neater. I basically hacked the wiring harnesses and left the wires. I then connected a 10ohm 10W resistor accross a +5V and GND connection. I then connected a rocker switch to the PC-ON wire and GND. I then connected the remaining power wires to posts on the outside of the case to allow for easier access. Finally I clipped the remaining, unused wires close to the board and put the cover on. Whenever I plugged it back up to the wall and turn both switches on, it no longer worked. Upon turning the switches on, the simply twitched once. I checked all of the posts and there was no voltage at all. The only thing I could think of is that I may have shorted out one of the wires whenever I clipped then near the board. Does anyone else have any advice on finding the source of this problem. Here is a site with basically the same thing I did. http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Thanks!
Brenton

Look at the unused wire stubs you've clipped. Perhaps one is touching another and shorting? Also check the removeable fuse to see if it has been blown. When you say it twitched, are you meaning that the cooling fan started to spin and then immediately stopped? If so, that sounds like a short. Perhaps you could take a soldering iron and a solder sucker and remove the actual remaining snippets of wire, so there's nothing there to accidentally short. Another possibility, are the posts you installed in the case touching the case itself and shorting?

Hello again! I have attempted to fix my power supply again. I double-checked the fuse and it is fine. I also removed any unused wires by desoldering them. The posts are not directly touching the case. I honestly have no clue what else could be wrong. First, I plug the power supply into the wall with all power switches off. Next, I flip the main switch that came on the power supply. Next I flip the switch I installed between the GND and PS-ON. Then the fan will briefly try to work and then stop. The fan will twitch every time I flip the second switch off then back on. What else can I check? Thanks again!

Judging from the fact you say that it runs for a brief moment then turns off, I can conclude that 1) a wire short is in the system or 2) your load resistor is acting up 3) your switch is cuckoo

Try checking all wires, remove the load resistor or check the switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back