Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PC communication using modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogdanfirst

i was wondering if i could create a direct link between 2 computers using a phone line and 2 modems.
is this possible?
i need a hight distance, but not very high speed. 56Kb is enough.
anyone can help?

bogdanfirst said:
i was wondering if i could create a direct link between 2 computers using a phone line and 2 modems.
is this possible?
i need a hight distance, but not very high speed. 56Kb is enough.
anyone can help?

You need to simulate a phone system, voltages, dialing tone, ringing tone etc. to fool the modems into thinking they are connected to a phone line.

What you describe is not an easy thing to do.

I am sure i have seen a three-wire system
running from serial port to serial port.

That might suit you better,
believe me it would be easier to run
a couple of extra wires
than to get modems to do it.
(unless the distance is a very long way)

I will try to find the info on a three-wire
system for you.

Regards, John :)

i found this page,
**broken link removed**
about half way down you should find a section
called null-modem.

it describes the three wire serial port
to serial port connection,
and includes a sort of drawing for the
no handshake type wiring,
and the psuedo handshake type wiring.

I feel there are many such pages on the net,
have a look around.

Regards, John :)

If you're not trying to do this for the heck of it, an easier way is to use a null-modem connection. This site has a step-by-step on how to do it: **broken link removed**

well if u have 2 computers, 2 modems in each, 2 phone lines and a telephone exchange u can use telnet to connect from one computer to the other. in that way u can transfer files from one computer to the other.

now if dont have the 2 phone lines and the telephone exchange then u should use the null modem technique.

ill recommend using the null modem technique because there is no telephone exchange between. that means that the data will transfer fastly and the connection will not add up to your monthly telephone bill :D

Here's one on the null modem cabling
**broken link removed**
There wasn't a length specified ,so that may be an issue.... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back