Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PayPal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair point.

I wonder where most of the spam really comes from? I know let's blame China and Russia because we don't approve of their governments. :rolleyes:

I'd say the USA, but our government eavesdrops too much. Unless our government is doing it, don't think they would allow much spam. They'd want to keep the traffic low, so the could spy on people more effectively. Since they are looking through our mail, and listening in on our calls, it would be nice if the just deleted the spam for us, or hung up on telemarketers. Personally, I don't care if they read my mail, or monitor my phone. I have nothing to hide, and nothing to fear.

Last edited:
Nothing compared to the governments of China and Russia.

But we are working really hard on it and just maybe some day we will pass them! :eek::mad:

But we are working really hard on it and just maybe some day we will pass them! :eek::mad:

I think that China and Russia do their spying openly, and want their people to know they are being watched. It's a pretty good system of control, being an honest citizen won't have anything to worry about, the less desirable will be paranoid and suspicious of each other. In the US, our government doesn't like admitting to violating our privacy rights. They mostly try to show they had probable cause to monitor a person, usually with information they could only have gotten from spying in the first place. But that doesn't catch much attention, as most people are outraged by the crime and politician accused...

I just received a cracker of an e-mail, from Kofi Annan no less!
The text of the e-mail is attached below.

Enjoy!:rolleyes:

JimB

Code:
Attention:Sir/Madam,

How are you today? Hope all is well with you and family?,You may not understand why this mail came to you. We have been having a meeting for the passed 7 months which ended 2 days ago with the  secretary to the UNITED NATIONS.

This email is to all the people that have been scammed and defraud in any part of the world,the UNITED NATIONS have agreed to compensate them with the sum of $600,000.US Dollars for each.

This also includes all the foreign contractors that have not received their contract sum, and people that have had an unfinished transaction or international businesses that failed due to Government problems etc.

So we found your name in our list and that is why we are contacting you, this have been agreed upon and have been signed.

So you are advised to contact Mr. Jim Ovia of ZENITH BANK OF WEST AFRICA PLC, as he is our representative in West Africa,contact him immediately for your cheque/International Bank Draft of USD$ 600,000.

This compensation funds are in a Bank Draft for security purpose ok? So he will send it to you and you can clear it in any bank of your choice or in your bank.

Therefore, you should send him your information such
as:
FULL NAME:
FULL CONTACT ADDRESS:
MOBILE PHONE NUMBER:
MARITAL STATUS AND AGE:
Your correct mailing address where
you want him to send the Draft to you.

Contact Mr. Jim Ovia immediately for your Cheque:
Person to Contact Mr. Jim Ovia Email:
[EMAIL="jimcook88@sify.com"]jimcook88@sify.com[/EMAIL]

Thanks and God bless you and your family.

Hoping to hear from you as soon as you cash your Bank Draft.

Making the world a better place

Regards,
Mr. Kofi Annan
Former Secretary (UNITED NATIONS)

The Scammers who sent you the letter about The United Nations will contact you again soon. They will ask for your bank details for them to empty your account.

$600,000.00US Ha!

I am amazed these banks have no phone numbers, only email addresses. And far as paypal. My son was using Craigslist and it became slow (people were not buying) so he jumped into Ebay and has paypal. They hold your money for 21 day unless you get positive feedback sooner.

Needless to say he will not longer use ebay after his first sell. And the guy got a heck of a deal, no others will. Ebay and Paypal have really gone down hill for the honest buyer and honest seller. IMHO. Guy has the product and paypal has the money. Something is just not right there. Since we have 80 items sold and 100% positive feedback and verified account.

Last edited:
Ive never had problems with PayPal or eBay so far. ;)

I purchase items all the time and sell stuff on a regular basis as well. Same day payments to or from for me without question as far as I have ever seen.

The only minor complaint I have is the fact PayPal sits on my money when I sell stuff and doesn't transfer it to my bank for about 3 days on average. But when buying its a near instantaneous transfer from my bank to them.

As far as I am concerned the less people selling their stuff on eBay the better! I have less competition going against what I am tying to sell! :D

I am amazed these banks have no phone numbers, only email addresses. And far as paypal. My son was using Craigslist and it got slow jumped on Ebay and has paypal. They hold your money for 21 day unless you get positive feedback sooner.

Needless to say he will not longer use ebay after his first sell. And the guy got a heck of a deal, no others will. Ebay and Paypal have really done hill for the honest buyer and honest seller. IMHO. Guy has the product and paypal has the money. Something is just not right there. Since we have 80 items sold and 100% positive feedback and verified account.

Do I understand this right? You sell and ship your item, and the buyer has 21 days to give his okay, before you get the money. And if the buyer gets the item, doesn't write anything, or cancels payment, or claims he got useless crap, you get no money, and your item is at the mercy of the buyer, who might have put it up for sale himself, intending to pay you out of the profits?

Does the seller have any kind of protection from being scammed? I sold a few things on Ebay, many years ago, but never used PayPal. It took 3-4 weeks to get paid, from the start of the auction. Very slow process, and the higher the starting bid, the more you had to pay Ebay, which you don't get back, if there are no bids. Just wasn't worth the time and trouble. It's change a great deal since then, but never had the urge to try again. I do check Ebay every once in a while, can some time get some specs or detail on parts, that you can't find searching the web. Sometimes I run across an odd item, and curious to see how common, and value, but don't see doing business there.

Do I understand this right? You sell and ship your item, and the buyer has 21 days to give his okay, before you get the money. And if the buyer gets the item, doesn't write anything, or cancels payment, or claims he got useless crap, you get no money, and your item is at the mercy of the buyer, who might have put it up for sale himself, intending to pay you out of the profits?

Ive never seen that before. I sell an item and get paid in a day or two and then ship. If I dot get paid the item never leaves my property and the buyer gets bad rep feedback for who's ever is responsible for the payment being withheld. (Usually a wife, girlfriend, or family member said no after the purchase was made.)

If others are getting a run around like that whats mentioned in the quote I would like to know why and well.
PayPal and eBay are constantly doing small changes to make security or other issues more user friendly but from time to time they apparently get some retarded legal advice and then start loosing customers from it. Shortly after they realize its costing them far more than it saves they typically dump the retard legal stuff.

I am amazed these banks have no phone numbers, only email addresses. And far as paypal. My son was using Craigslist and it got slow jumped on Ebay and has paypal. They hold your money for 21 day unless you get positive feedback sooner.

Needless to say he will not longer use ebay after his first sell. And the guy got a heck of a deal, no others will. Ebay and Paypal have really done hill for the honest buyer and honest seller. IMHO. Guy has the product and paypal has the money. Something is just not right there. Since we have 80 items sold and 100% positive feedback and verified account.

Maybe it's just me, but there were a few expressions here that I did not understand at all that seem to be quite important.

Last edited:
tcmtech,

Your money goes out to them but "they" have to wait to get it. Bank interest rates can't be that good, that they need to sit on the money like the banks. Maybe paypal holds the cash longer based on price now. Higher dollars longer wait. Got me.

Either way, they did not do that before and it is back to craigslist for us... They come get the item and pay, all is good. No shipping mess either. I guess if I was selling junk, ebay might be better. And you get crazy money sometime on Ebay. On Craigslist they know where you live and see the time. :)

I have been ripped off on ebay more than a couple times (buying).

This was my sons first Ebay deal and he said his last ebay/paypal transaction.

The Ebay person was a pain in the neck on shipping changes (because he was going on vacation and wanted it before he left) and asked about the shape of the item over and over. I was thinking I would ask that BEFORE I bought it. And paypal parked the cash on him.

Craigslist is so slow right now so he thought he'd try it. He was not impressed.

And paypal parked the cash on him.

While you're translating the phrases that dknguyen highlighted, please also translate this one.

Think it means that the PayPal recieved the buyer's money, but is going to hang on to it, until the purchase is received and approved. So, if the buyer does like what he received, you don't get the money. Don't kmow if this means the seller is screwed for his item though, or if PayPal holds the money until the item is returned, and the seller is satisfied that he got it back in the same condition as shipped.

Think it means that the PayPal recieved the buyer's money, but is going to hang on to it, until the purchase is received and approved. So, if the buyer does like what he received, you don't get the money. Don't kmow if this means the seller is screwed for his item though, or if PayPal holds the money until the item is returned, and the seller is satisfied that he got it back in the same condition as shipped.

I have never seen this before, but we have not used ebay for probably a year or more. With 100% good feedback and a verified paypal account, I am a little upset for my son having to wait for his money.

Either way it will work out. And the person is going on vacation no less, so we lost $13US more to ship in three days for him.

If we get screwed (ripped off, loose the product and money) it will not be the first time, but it will be the last.

I'm buying stuff and selling stuff this week. I will post what happens!
I am personally not expecting any trouble though. ;)

I here loads of horror stories about on line purchasing through eBay and about every other place as well. The people that tell me this stuff are the typical I heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend who think thats what he read on some odd website or blog.
At least once a month I hear eBay is going under and PayPal is getting sued out of existence. I have used both on a regular basis for nearly ten years without problems. However I have changed local banks 4 times in ten years because they actually did to stupid stuff with my money and couldn't do basic math or a simple transactions without a load of BS.:mad:

What I hear about eBay and PayPal is about the same as the horror stories about shopping with any major chain store as well. Gossip and over dramatized hype from people that dont like the fact that some places have stuff cheap.

Yea eBay gets a few bad sellers and any other bank has dirty laundry also. Its just a part of life. :(

My stuff sold yesterday and I bought some stuff yesterday as well.

Just as I figured everything went right though PayPal without any hassle or trouble.
I even received a 15% off coupon from eBay on my purchases too! :)

So today I am getting some more stuff ready for auction and also putting in some more bids on things I probably dont really need but still want. :D

All I know is PayPal and eBay work just fine for me and will continue to use them until something changes. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back