Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pause, Record, Rewind Live TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadMod

Hey all,

I am trying to design a box which can pause record and rewind live tv, similar to "Sky Plus" in the UK.

Does any one know where I can start or any advice on the topic?

Regards

Depends if you want digital TV or Satellite ?

Personally I run a HP ML115 server as a backend with a Hauppauge Nova-T 500 card internally and a Hauppauge USB twin tuner 500 externally. This gives me 4 tuners which cover most multiplexes I use here - I can record up to 8 programs at the same time. Its running MythTV

The front end is an Acer Revo R3600 which is just capable of playing full 1080p HD movies and runs MythTV frontend.

You can get away with a single Acer Revo with a USB DVB tuner running both backend and frontend on the same machine.

All depends on your budget and space.

MythTV is free as is the Linux OS it runs under, the Revo will cost you around £150 and the USB twin tuner will cost aroud £50

I just use WinXP Media Center. It has full PVR capabilities. But it sometimes collides with my webcam service, and I have to go through the setup again to get it back on track.

Hey all,

I am trying to design a box which can pause record and rewind live tv, similar to "Sky Plus" in the UK.

Does any one know where I can start or any advice on the topic?

Regards

As there are a huge variety of existing boxes available, many at VERY low prices, it seems a pretty pointless exercise?.

As there are a huge variety of existing boxes available, many at VERY low prices, it seems a pretty pointless exercise?.

I'll agree and disagree with you on that one Nigel.

If you've got a PC thats on 24/7 (i.e. a server) and you have a home network/tv in most rooms then setting up a media server with a PVR and remote frontends is great.

If you don't then go for an off the shelf box for £150 or so - you'll save a lot of that a year in the electricity you'll save from running a machine all day. Some PVR software will set the RTC on your PC, wake before the program, record it then go back to sleep.

Now - when to watch the 300+ episodes of CSI we've recorded ............

Hey all, thanks for your comments and advice

I am aware that this is a pointless exersice since there are already some premade boxes or computer software I can use to do this.

But my reason for doing this is. At my location, the local cable company does not offer this feature. I looking forward to starting up this project to design an addon to their system to pause, record, rewind, and fast forward live tv. Once I have done this, I will be looking forward to making a proposal to them, for integrating my design into their system.

All advice is appreciated and welcomed

Cable boxes are made by many vendors with the DVR feature. If the cable company wants to offer that feature, they simply have to buy one of those boxes. I highly doubt you would find a buyer for a home-brew add-on system to do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back