Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Patenting ideas??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juglenaut

Anyone have a ligit way of patenting ideas without then getting stolen??

I mean I have looked, mabey I should goto the local governments...But the thing is I want total confidentiality.

Has anyone US patented an idea, share your experiences with this proccess.

Juglenaut said:
Anyone have a ligit way of patenting ideas without then getting stolen??

I mean I have looked, mabey I should goto the local governments...But the thing is I want total confidentiality.

Has anyone US patented an idea, share your experiences with this proccess.

Never done it, but patenting isn't any knid of protection unless you have LOADS of money to fight huge corporations in court.

As you are obviously well aware, patenting doesn't give any confidentiality, in fact just the opposite!.

You might do some careful research on patent protection or talk to patent attorneys without revealing your idea. I used to work for a company where patenting ideas was a normal part of business. Some thoughts -

1. Good records on the development of your idea is probably just as important as the patent itself. It may be the evidence you present that proves you developed the idea first.

2. A good search is important. You need to be sure that your idea isn't already patented.

3. Be prepared to defend yourself if you plan on marketing/selling the idea. That's where the good records may pay off. If someone thinks they've already got a patent that covers your idea and they think you are infringing on their rights they are allowed to challenge you.

4. It seems that patenting variations of the same idea is appropriate, simply as a way to keep others from making subtle but legal changes to your idea then running with it.

5. Consider selling your idea (patented!) for a reasonable price. While you might think your idea is the doorway to a goldmine - if you don't have the means to efficiently and quickly capitalize on it then going to someone who can might make some sense. That might not be the goldmine but if the offer covers your costs while providing a profit it could be your best bet. There ought to be some satisfaction in being the one who patented the idea even though the rights have been sold.

All of the above costs money and takes time as well as carries some risk. If you plan to use your idea to make money you might hit the market hard before anyone else. If you do that be sure that you've done the research to be sure you haven't accidentally copied someone else that might be applying for patents.

Good luck.

I hold patents and would never do it again. Its more or less a real joke.

Anyone can Patent Anything, its just a matter of how you word it to make it appear as Unique.

And as Mentioned, Unless you have Tons of Money to Protect your patent, Anyone can effectively copy it.

If you want further info or possible Alternatives, Email me.

Patent reading (Con)

For some further thoughts on patents (strangely similar to chemelecs), have a look at these articles...

**broken link removed**

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2005/01/casagpat.pdf

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2005/01/newpats.pdf

My impression of patents (after working at a large company for many years) is mixed. If you are offered a decent bonus for filing, it may be worth the time, but the fine print always says the company owns the IP & all rights. Large companies try to amass a large "patent portfolio" in order to have a bargaining chip when dealing with other large companies, and to intimidate smaller players. I've seen good and bad patents, it's a game best played by those in the legal profession.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back